How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1378
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being verbally abused by my son-in-law, not my daughter,

Customer Question

I am being verbally abused by my son-in-law, not my daughter, the abuse is reserved just for me! I have not seen any abuse from him toward her. Her screamed in my face that he was a dictator & I was to do exactly what he orders! This is destroy my relationship with not only my daughter but also my 6 grandchildren! I am devastated & do not know what to do! Help, please
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that your son in law is treating you like this, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of what you are looking for, so that I can better assist you
1. Has your daughter considered ending the marriage with this man as he is clearly abusive towards you and most likely others?
2. Would it be possible to have a male present in your interactions with this man since he appears to primarily verbally abuse women?
3. Have you told your daughter than you cannot foresee a relationship with her anymore as long as this man is still in her life?
4. Are you willing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do as this man’s abusive behavior can only be stopped by himself and that if your daughter continues to choose him over you that you may have to stop communicating with her because of the abuse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am an RN, worked in a larger Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for over 16 years, am not a novice! The information you provided me, I already knew! Am NOT satisfied with your assistance! This was nothing more than a generic answer! Offer was a guaranteed refund if not satisfied. & I am not satisfied! Will expect my refund! Realize this is only an online service, but as a professional with your credentials, did expect more! Will not be trying this again! Assume the refund will be applied to my VISA card, correct! Guess I will need to deal with this on my own! Disappointed with the service! Sorry to be blunt, but am at least being honest!
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Well first off, I only asked questions to get more information, which is why this was an Information Request and not an answer. Also this website does not provide treatment at all, which is why I was not sure what you were looking for and the reason why I asked questions. It sounds like you should strongly seek assistance face to face as you need specific guidance on this issue, while this website only provides general information. Good luck to you with your issues regarding your son in law. You can contact customer service using this link