Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Please help! My husband is driving me crazy! He constantly

Customer Question

Please help! My husband is driving me crazy! He constantly says, " I didn't say that" "I didn't do that" when in fact he has just said or done something.. He is extremely jealous and irrational at times! Other times he can be really sweet. He has 4 children from a previous marriage. Of the 4 children , 2 are autistic and one has mental problems. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that your husband is having these issues, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of the situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. How long has your husband been behaving in this manner?
2. If he will not listen when you try to speak to him and his behavior is only becoming worse, have you tried suggesting he seek psychiatric or psychological treatment?
3. Have you considered leaving your husband since he is the only one that can decide to stop or seek help for his problematic behavior?
4. Are you willing to accept that there may be nothing you can do to help your husband since you are only in control of your own actions and not his?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I married him 2 years ago..im not sure if he is autistic or a narcasist, after reading about them. He is jealous of my 17 year old son and thinks me hugging him is perverted. He is sick! Im asking him to seek help..if he doesnt..im leaving
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
I think that is a good idea to ask him to seek help as his behavior is definitely distressing and problematic from your description. Obviously I cannot diagnose him without a face to face evaluation, but I can tell you that individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) are born with it and that means the behavior you are witnessing must have started when he was a child. If he truly has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) than the behavior would have manifested in his young adulthood and most likely would have worsened over time as well. Individuals with ASD will be able to respond to treatment as an adult, but it usually takes 12-24 months of intensive therapy for it to be effective. And individuals with NPD will rarely ever seek treatment as they feel nothing is wrong with them, but instead everyone else is the one with the problem. So if your husband has NPD it is doubtful he will seek treatment for his issues and even more less likely that the treatment would even be successful for him. Overall I would prepare to possibly leave him as there is a very low chance that your husband's behavior will improve in the foreseeable future.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?