Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

While browsing the Internet reading up on sociopaths and…

Customer Question
While browsing the Internet reading...
While browsing the Internet reading up on sociopaths and psychopats I was thinking there's no way I'm like any of these people. However, after reading this article and relating to damn near all the traits I'm starting to second guess that. Or maybe I'm just an enneagram 5? Please help
http://www.sociopathworld.com/2010/12/sociopath-test-how-to-spot-them-before.html
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/3/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your concern. So lets start with the most obvious issue here, the link you attached to your question with the "list" of traits to identify a Psychopath/Sociopath is not peer-reviewed and has no factual evidence to actually spot a Psychopath/Sociopath. There is only one test in the world that has peer-reviewed backing and has been studied for the last 20 years to successfully identify and diagnose someone with Psychopathy/Sociopathy and that is Hare's Psychopathy Checklist Revised (PCL-R). Here are the list of the 20 items associated with this actual test of Psychopathy/Sociopathy, but even then there is much more related to each item on how to identify and score an item:
http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Hare-Psychopathy-Checklist.html
So what you read as a way to identify a Psychopath/Sociopath was more fiction than fact and I would recommend that take it with a grain of salt. As a professional who has diagnosed individuals with Psychopathy/Sociopathy and has testified in court on the subject, I can tell you that what you read on that internet website is not indicative of a true Psychopath/Sociopath.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?