Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Is there symptoms for grieving the loss of a loved one? And

Customer Question

Is there symptoms for grieving the loss of a loved one ? And if so what are they? And if not can it be depression or worse?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your question. The symptoms for grief vary from person to person as it is not a diagnosis, but something that every human being goes through during times of loss. Typically the most common symptoms of grief involve depressive symptoms, anxiety, poor sleeping habits, feeling numb to the outside world and others, feeling guilty, crying spells, and mood swings that can be triggered by reminders of the loved one that you lost.
In a most cases people get through grief in a matter of weeks to months, but in a minority of cases the grief is not resolving and/or getting worse and this can lead to Complicated Grief, which can be considered a mix of Depression and/or a Traumatic Disorder. Complicated Grief has not intense symptoms of depression, anxiety, avoidance of others, pushing others away, refusal to acknowledge the loss had meaning, coping with drugs/alcohol, coping with new experiences to avoid the grief or thinking about the loss, being impulsive, and neglect of self-care and personal/professional responsibilities. Here is a good worksheet to describe the differences in Typical Uncomplicated Grief and Complicated Grief
http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACF3185.pdf
As for if it can be a Depressive Disorder or worse, it truly depends on the person and the situation. Usually after 6 months if the grief is still present than it has graduated to a Mood Disorder and requires more intensive treatment.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?