Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Where can I find out about the incidences of Schizophrenics…

Customer Question
Where can I find out...
Where can I find out about the incidences of Schizophrenics actually making their loved ones or associates sick? In 2008 some people I worked for attacked me to "make me realize I was harming them, and brought me to a realization I wasn't in the present, then instead of getting real help, I proceeded to recover and still have surety I am schiZoprehic.
I discovered I may have actually developed first signs of Schizophrenia at age 21 - and I attacked verbally and physically the "friends" I was working with, except two men, one later become my husband.
I have now had my second panic attack - nervous breakdown in Oct and I am sure I get my associates sick.
Where can I learn what to do? I have a friend who's been around me since last week - every day and the 2nd or 3 rd day I seeing her, she's severely ill. I think I need to be severely careful what I do next. I have a 4.5 year old and my negligence of my own hygiene is enough of a problem. I don't know how to move past this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
7/2/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your question. May I ask though, are you asking if your diagnosis of Schizophrenia is causing others to become sick with infections or viruses? Or do you believe that your Schizophrenia is "spreading" and causing others to become mentally ill?
No, it's definitely caused others to just become sick. I read about that being the case and am seeing it happening. My husband doesn't have a Constant sickness - but my daughter has a stuffy nose a lot. Friends I am not around all the time suddenly get sick. In the last 6 months I have noted it's happened more than 7 times, mostly I was helping at a trial school for my daughter and I couldn't stay there.
I didn't mean to say my negligence has anything to with this main concern, of affecting people I am around, but in the main I can see why I would not want to stick around very long unless I know how to set up my life.
I don't get what to do to get a reply, am I accepting a new amount to pay if I get a satisfactory response? No?
Thank you for your responses as it helps me to better understand your situation. Unfortunately it is impossible to determine if someone with Schizophrenia is sole cause of someone else's illness or not as people are exposed to so many different situations everyday that can cause symptoms like the common cold (e.g. stuffy nose) nausea, fever, etc...There are just too many virulent and bacterial elements in our society that can be a cause for these relatively common and non-specific symptoms, so there is no conclusive study to say that Schizophrenia or someone with Schizophrenia is a cause for this. All that has been researched on Schizophrenia dealing with infectious and virulent elements is that 1)Poor hygiene can lead to a higher incidence rate of becoming exposes to common infectious agents and being a carrier of such agents. Individuals who do not wash their hands regularly or bathe regularly could be more infectious than the average person. Because individuals with Schizophrenia have much higher rates of poor hygiene than it is likely that someone with Schizophrenia will be able to pass infectious agents to others at a higher degree.
2) The only other issue with Schizophrenia and infectious agents is that there is a higher incidence rate of individuals with Schizophrenia being diagnosed with variations of Herpes viruses, endogenous retroviruses, and Toxoplasma gondii. There is some speculation that this can cause disorders like Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder, but individuals with these types of infectious agents could also have non-descriptive symptoms like you mentioned. If you have one or more of these diseases than it is possible you could be passing these infectious agents to others. Here are a couple studies on this if you want to learn more:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK83686/
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/infectious-agents-schizophrenia-and-bipolar-disorder
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
I do provide an answer, it just takes me around 10-20 minutes to type out my full response because as you can see I did write a good amount of detail in my response to you.
I get that. It doesn't help my obsession that now I am not going to be able to carry out what I thought was my normal life. I am not disgusting by any means, just worried that now it's very true that people around me will forever get ill one instance of talking to someone and two days later he's sick.
Another person came back from a visit to Gautemala and had gout, but it's still not handled, I knew that wasn't from me!
Well the person easily could have gotten a resistant form of gout while in Guatemala, so I agree that has nothing to do with you. You can ask your doctor to try to test and treat those infectious agents I mentioned in the articles I presented with and if you treat those, it may stop you from "spreading" any symptoms to others.
Truthfully though, unless your hygiene is particularly bad than most likely you are not causing other to become more ill or sick. Children are prone to getting consistent cases of illnesses as they are in a room full of other children hours on end. Also individuals can be exposed to many different illnesses throughout the course of the day like I said and that is probably the cause of how these others are getting sick. Remember for them to get sick you have to be sick/ill as well, as that is when you are contagious the most. Most likely your anxiety and obsession could be linked to Health Anxiety/Hypochondriasis which can be treated with psychotropic medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist