Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My father has demntia for 2 years. he is living at home and

Customer Question

my father has demntia for 2 years. he is living at home and my mother takes care of him.
father 91, mother 86. his medicine for the dementia is
thru the 2 years he has been happy & relaxed.
today for the first time something different happened that is unusual for him. he was looking for his car (which has not been there for 2 years) and became angry with my mother
brother, etc saying your all trying to take over.
we have an appt for him with the Dr. on monday. my questions is: since my mother will be alone with him tonight we are trying to determine if it's safe for her. what are our alternatives?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your question. I can definitely understand why you are concerned about your father's recent anger outburst, and unfortunately anger outbursts like this are quite common for individuals with dementia. I would like to ask a couple questions to get a better idea of the situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. Did your father threaten any physical violence towards your mother?
2. Is your father calm now and less angry? How long was he actually angry for?