Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Okay, well I'm waiting on another question to get answered,

Customer Question
Okay, well I'm waiting on...
Okay, well I'm waiting on another question to get answered, I'd like to ask this one. This one is kind of personal, but I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from. It's a personality quirk of mine. I have four years for a girl to hold her hand over
my nose and mouth. What in the world is this about? I can't really ask people I know.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Predictive text is messing me up here I believe. I meant the phrase to say I have for years found it incredibly attractive for a girl to hold her hand over my nose and mouth.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2015
Mental Health Professional: therapist325, Therapist replied 2 years ago
therapist325
therapist325, Therapist

Hello-hoping to help a little with your question. What you are describing sounds like a fetish like behavior called erotic asphyxiation. This act reduces oxygen and blood flow to the brain which is believed to intensify sensations and heighten orgasmic experiences. So there is a physical sensation that can make people attracted to the act. Although it does intensify sensations it also reduces self control and judgment which can make this dangerous and even result in death. Had to add that part for safety reasons, so sorry for being a little of a buzz kill. There can also be a part of liking someone else to be in control. Do you like being dominated in other ways during sex? If so, that may also be part of the attraction to this behavior.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist