How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother lives in ga and she has been taking care of my

Customer Question

My mother lives in ga and she has been taking care of my sister who has schizophrenia for over 25 years. They had been going to a private doctor for about 20 years but my mother is now in her 70s and so is the doctor. The last few years my sister has not been stable and my mother has tried to get the doctor to get someone else to administer the meds instead of herself but she never does and my sister misses does and starts having episodes . She recently started threatening my mother and my mother has begged the doctor to help her get committed for extra evaluation because she is scared to stay alone in the house with her. Today the doctor prescribed some type of tranquilizer to relax her and said to take her to the nearby towns emergency room and let them know we cant handle her. Why cant this doctor who has been treating her all these years help get this done? She said it is not her decision.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am so sorry that your mother is having this difficulty with your sister and her psychiatrist. To be honest with you, there is absolutely no reason why her doctor cannot commit your sister for inpatient treatment especially if there is an imminent danger to your mother. In fact in would be against ethics and the law for her psychiatrist to dismiss this obvious concern. Her psychiatrist can easily call 911 and tell the operator that there is a patient that may be a harm to others and needs to be given a psychiatric hold. From there an ambulance and police officer would show up and escort your sister to be evaluated and committed for a certain period of time. So once again I see no reason why this psychiatrist is not doing that as that is part of her oath and commitment to her patients and the community. So I would recommend that your mother call 911 and inform the operator of your sister’s behavior and how she is in fear of her safety and then she can be committed from there at the nearest hospital/psychiatric ward.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you