Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I saw your response to the customer asking about the

Customer Question
interactions between lamictal and MDMA...
I saw your response to the customer asking about the interactions between lamictal and MDMA and really appreciate your honesty. So I was wondering what the interactions between LSD and lamictal are. I tried to do some research and all I could find was a bunch of heresay due to the partially unknown nature of how they achieve their results that both of these drugs possess. I take lamictal for bipolar II, and am aware of the effects LSD can have on someone with a mood disorder (I experienced full mania and partial psychosis when unmedicated by accidentally taking a heroic dose of lsd). So obviously you took your oath as a doctor to do no harm and you will recommend that the user not take illegal drugs, but if they were to be mixed (approx 125mg lamictal and approx 100-150ug of lsd) what would the interactions be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dear customer,
Which response you are referring?
Sorry, I found a response from Dr. A to a patient laying out the possible interactions between MDMA and Lamictal. I can't find it anymore as my phone is being tempermental
Actually I did find it, http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/7dbf3a6aa2b14b44bd6f425bbf4e28d9
I thought my question would be going to Dr. Anderson especially since he is a psychiatrist.
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience. I see that your expert has opted out and your requested expert has not responded as of yet.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
I have reviewed your link and feel I can give you the assistance you need. let me know if that would work for you or if you would rather continue to wait.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Hello! If you feel that you can answer my question I'm all for it!
There is a very high probability that you could start to hallucinate. This could also cause you to move into a full blown manic state again that could last for days....
It is also possible that these symptoms could recur weeks or even months after you took your initial dose of MDMA without warning.
So. What is the take home message?
Using MDMA with your history of bipolar disorder which included psychosis during a manic episode is very dangerous and ill advised.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Uhm, I wasn't asking about MDMA..., I was saying that I asked the question because of a post talking about lamictal and MDMA. I was asking about lamictal and lsd

Ok. That is what I initially thought in your post. The effects that I spoke about in the above thread are true -- only much more so -- when it comes to LSD. I appologise for any confusion.

With your history? Stay away, far away, from LSD.

Make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I understand what can happen with a person with bipolar disorder or any mental health concern when ingesting LSD. I still have not gotten the answer to my question though.I'm asking about the combination of lamictal and lsd. Is there a synergistic effect? Does it cause seizures like lsd does with lithium? Would the lamictal negate some effects of the lsd the way an SSRI will? That is the kind of information I am looking for. Basically what happens when the two chemicals are in your brain simultaneously.

There is no research or peer reviewed data that speaks to this issue as the studies have never been done...nor do I expect them to be accomplished in the foreseeable future.

The bot***** *****ne?

Do not mix these two drugs.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS