Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I'm Priya.. My husband is a compulsive masturbator. Only discovered, this is ver

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Priya.. My husband is a compulsive masturbator. Only discovered, this is very serious to the extent he preferred it rather than sex. It is ruing our relationship. What specialist do we seek help? Is it fixable. He has provided a solution that he will not be home alone but he could easily get to have lone time in office toilet n else where as well. Recently he lied to me he won't but he had done so when I checked internet history. Please help. Its very stressing. He confessed he does it daily at night before sleeping for several several years. But I suspect he does it more than once. Watches porn secretly as well.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your question. I am very sorry that your husband has been having this issue with masturbation, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. The best type of professional to see for this issue would be a therapist that practices Sex Therapy. Because this is a chronic issue that he admits is a problem, it would be best to undergo therapy to help your husband better cope with not masturbating and to help lessen the impulse for masturbation. This issue is very "fixable" and should respond to therapy within a couple months. So try to ask your doctor to be referred to a therapist that either practices Sex Therapy or at the very least practices couple's therapy.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I wish you and your husband all the best and I hope your husband's treatment goes smoothly. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you