Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I've had mpd since a very age. One of my alters,, has

Customer Question
I've had mpd since a...
I've had mpd since a very young age. One of my alters, Aaron, has memories the rest of us don't have access to (not easily, anyway) and he hardly seems to be able to get to them anymore. He says I was raped as a young child. On one hand, I believe him. I have lots of reasons to trust Aaron, and I do have a lot of inexplicable anxiety about sexual things (sometimes to the extent of making me feel detached or in extreme cases, out of body).
I know its not uncommon to block out these kinds of memories, especially with help from alters, but I'm finding it hard to believe. I wish there was a way to know for sure if I was raped. But if I ask Aaron about it...how can he confirm it other than telling me? It causes him a lot of pain, I can tell, because he's had to handle it alone all this time.
I guess I just want to know...should I believe him? Does all this sound reasonable?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/18/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I can understand how distressing this issue must be for you and I truly wish there was a 100 percent guarantee to know for sure if you were raped or not, but unfortunately modern science has not gotten to that point. Dissociative Identity Disorder or DID (Multiple Personality Disorder was discontinued as a diagnosis in the 1980s for this diagnosis) is a very difficult disorder to treat and understand. In addition, the incidence rate of repressed memories, especially those of sexual abuse, is very low (less than 5 percent), but I think from what you are describing there is precedence to trust Aaron with what he is saying. DID typically arises because an individual experiences a horrible trauma and will typically affect a child more often than an adult because their mind is more fragile and less developed. So a rape as a young child definitely could have triggered your DID or at the very least exacerbated it and the DID was a way for your mind to protect you from the trauma by fracturing these different personalities and memories. In addition, while I said that repressed memories as a child are rare, well so is DID, and because you have been diagnosed with DID suggests that these are repressed memories that only Aaron has access to. Now like I said I cannot give you a 100 percent guarantee that Aaron is accurate about this rape, but it would make sense given the brief history and current diagnosis. And because you feel this alter has been truthful to you before, I do not see a reason to doubt him now.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?