Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a 60 year old. Daughter that is drinking constantly…

Customer Question
I have a 60 year...
I have a 60 year old. Daughter that is drinking constantly and has physical challenges due to weight and other physical problems like major problems in walking. I have not been able to get her to stop drinking or attend physical therapy. I would like to know if I have any options for getting her help. I know in Florida you can get people put into programs . My phone is XXXXXXXXXX. My email that I use is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/18/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. In Florida, you can ask the court to involuntary place your daughter in an alcohol/drug treatment program (either inpatient or outpatient based on the court's recommendation) because you are a blood relative. You have to provide evidence that your daughter has no self-control because of her drinking and is a likely harm to herself or others. Once you file the appropriate paperwork with the court (Petition for Involuntary Assessment and Stabilization) a hearing will be scheduled where you present your case to the judge and if the judge sees sufficient cause with your claim, than your daughter will be committed for a few days for an evaluation where the hospital will provide their recommendation concerning your daughter. Then after the evaluation a Petition of Treatment can be filed and the judge will get to hear the hospital's recommendation and from your daughter directly and then will make a decision concerning the involuntary commitment to a long-term alcohol treatment facility. Here is a good link providing more details on this if you are interested.
http://www.treatmentsolutions.com/marchman-act/
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I truly wish your daughter all the best and I hope that she will get the help that she needs. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?