Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

How accorfing to Texas law, can my phyciatrist write my

Customer Question

How long accorfing to Texas law, can my phyciatrist write my scripts for? They are ativan, lexapro, seraquel, and ambien. She says i have to see her every couple of weeks, but i' ve been told by other docs that she can write them for upo 3 mo.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. According to Texas law the psychiatrist can prescribe UP to a 90 day supply of the Ativan and Ambien as those are controlled substances requiring you to see your psychiatrist at least every 90 days for continuing prescription. But this is still up to the doctor's discretion as she can require a patient to see her sooner if she feels it is necessary, by law she cannot go over a 90 day supply though.
The Lexapro and Seroquel are not controlled substances so in fact those prescriptions can be continued indefinitely with minimal visits to the psychiatrist if necessary. There is no law requiring a finite supply or limited refills for non-controlled substances, it is up to the doctor's discretion.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you today. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I was just checking if you had any questions or concerns that I can further assist you with?