Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My boyfiend seems to look . He will walk hard into people on purpose if they do

Customer Question

My boyfiend seems to look for trouble. He will walk hard into people on purpose if they don't immediately get out of his way. He seems to be looking for a fight all the time and has pent up anger. This also manifests as episodes of road rage where he will use the car in aggressive ways if he feels someone has cut him off, passed him too quickly, etc. He has low self-esteem. He will make loud inappropriate politial or insulting stThere is no drinking or drugs and he holds a low-level full-time job. This seems to happen more with strangers. He once ran into a very petite woman and hurt her arm. He didn't even look back. He says it is rude of them not to get out of the way of him. I can't take it anymore as I feel so bad about it. I wonder if he has a personality disorder? He has refused counseling. We are not married but have lived together 15 years. This problem seems to be getting worse. He has no friends or close family. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your boyfriend, I can understand how distressing his behavior can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of what you are looking for, so that I can better assist you.
1. I understand that you are looking for help, but what is your specific mental health question that you want help with?
2. What reasons does he provide to refuse seeking treatment for these issues?
3. And are you willing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do to help him if he continues to refuse seeking treatment?