Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband has been dianoised with -polar, he has had it…

Customer Question
My husband has been dianoised...
My husband has been dianoised with bi-polar, he has had it since he was 10 he is 74 and our entire marriage he has had of and on emotional affairs, he even told me in the 70s he married another women and was married for 8 yrs. He since then denied that marriage. He was dianoised about 3 yrs ago. Could bi-polar influence a persons to do all these things.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/4/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. A Bipolar Disorder can cause an individual to act in the way you described, and this can typically occur when that individual is in a Depressed State or a Manic state (impulsiveness, hypersexuality, irresponsibility, racing thoughts, feeling overly euphoric, talking fast, easily distracted, and moving from one task to the next). Manic phases of a Bipolar Disorder typically only last for a few weeks at most and then the individual either returns to a Euthymic state (normal mood functioning) for an indeterminate amount of time or a Depressed state for a few months, than after that the cycle continues back to Euthymia or Mania. In addition, most individuals with Bipolar disorder (75-80 percent) have less than 3 Manic episodes per year. Greater than 3 Manic Episodes per year is called Rapid Cycling. So if your husband's behavior of having emotional affairs could definitely be caused by the Bipolar Disorder because if he was feeling very depressed than he may have sought these emotional affairs out for more comfort. And when he was Manic it can cause him to act impulsively, hypersexual, and euphoric and irresponsibly where he sought out these emotional affairs for purely fun and excitement, not thinking it was wrong or hurtful to you and the marriage.
Overall though, yes Bipolar Disorder can definitely cause a person to act in this manner unfortunately. And if your husband suffered from this disorder since he was 10 years old there were probably more examples of his Up and Down behavior over the last few decades than just these emotional affairs.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I wish you and your husband all the best and I hope he responds well to his treatment. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you today. Thank you