Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have panic disorder and I have trouble sleeping so i took

Customer Question

Hi, i have panic disorder and I have trouble sleeping so i took a unisom pill (50mg over the counter). It didn't work and now i am extremely anxious. It's 4:18 am here. Do you think I could take .5 mg of xanax? Is it safe?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are struggling with this panic disorder, and having some insomnia, I can understand how distressing this must be for you. I understand that you want to know if taking a .5mg of Xanax is safe because you took a Unisom pill, which is a good question. The answer to your question is that it is 100 percent safe to take a .5mg of Xanax even though you took a Unisom pill recently. The reasons why is that both medications are at a very low dose, so there is no chance of severe interaction effect between them. If you took both medications at very high doses or overdoses than there would be a significant interaction effect, but because what you took was considered a relatively low dose of the Unisom than taking a .5mg of Xanax is perfectly safe.
In the future though because panic disorders likely cause insomnia, you should ask your doctor to prescribe a sleep aid that has anti-anxiety properties like Trazodone or Seroquel for example because Unisom may be an over the counter sleep aid, it cannot lessen anxiety that is leading to your insomnia. Both of these medications have an off-label use as a sleep aid due to their sedative effects and can significantly lessen anxiety.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I wish you all the best with you treatment and I hope your symptoms lessen very soon. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you today. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check-up and see how you were doing and if there was anything else that I can assist you with.