Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Just read your answer to another person; you'll probably…

Customer Question
Hi! Just read your answer...
Hi! Just read your answer to another person; you'll probably tell me the same thing, but my husband has changed into a completely different person & it's driving me nuts! He's always been active; goes to gym, does 30 mile bike rides, hikes all around our mountains, parts of Appalachian Trail, even Grand Canyon for a week with 3 friends. Has lots of friends, old college buddies, frat bros, goes fishing, camping, etc...all he dies now is sit in his recliner! Have to fuss (even our 16 year old daughter!) to get him to mow the yard, go out anywhere, etc..won't talk, gives me the silent treatment when I ask him anything (I hate that!). We've been together for 32 years, have enjoyed traveling, but he won't go anywhere now. Has isolated his friends (except for 2), wouldn't go to our kid's hi school football games because he might run into someone he knows. Will not go walk (stays constipated), or do anything for his health. This has been going on fir 23 mos.!! Thought he had ALS 2 yrs. ago, had all the tests, he didn't have it, this started right after that
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/2/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. I am sorry to hear of this behavioral change in your husband, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for him and for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. I understand that you are very frustrated with your husband's behavior, but i noticed that you did not pose a specific question. Are you asking about what other possible treatments are available for your husband?
2. What medications and doses has he tried so far?
3. You mentioned that he was diagnosed with ALS, which is a severe neurological disorder, I am wondering if his neurologist was informed of this behavioral change as there may be specific support groups for individuals with similar medical issues?