How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We believe our 18 year old daughter has been misdiagnosed by

Customer Question

we believe our 18 year old daughter has been misdiagnosed by a psychiatrist. in spring 2013 she went thru a bit of teenage angst and what I call Junior year stress ( College apps, Sat, ACTS, school elections, as well as being involved in many school and
community extra curricular activities). I took her to her pediatrician who suggested she see a therapist, we complied. After one visit to the psychologist and I visit to a psychiatrist she was given a psychosis nos diagnosis that we were not aware off till
medical records were reviewed by DODMERB for consideration into the military academies and for ROTC Scholarships. She received a 3 year AROTC Scholarship to her 1st choice university. Due to her diagnosis now that scholarship is being revoked and her academic
dreams are being crushed. I would like some guidance as to how to appeal this diagnosis and get it taken off her medical record. I did take her for a 2nd opinion to an out of network psychiatrist that we paid out of pocket who agreed that she did not have
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am very sorry that your daughter may have been misdiagnosed, I can understand how distressing this can be for her and her career aspirations. A medical record is not a permanent record as medical records only apply to the particular hospital/institution that the patient is affiliated with. This is why when patients move or go to other hospitals for treatment they can start from scratch with a brand new medical record with no relevant medical history or pieces of medical history that the patient wants left out. So In order to appeal the diagnosis of her medical record at this hospital that the psychologist/psychiatrist originally diagnosed her, she must ask that hospital to conduct a new evaluation (preferably with a different psychiatrist/psychologist) and get a new diagnosis. Typically going to patient resources is the best approach to request an appeal and in-network second opinion. After this is done an amendment will be posted on her medical record stating the original diagnosis of Psychosis NOS was not correct and her new diagnosis, if there is a diagnosis, is XXXXXXXXX.
If the hospital will not agree, than she can have the military review the documents from the out of pocket psychiatrist that diagnosed her as not having Psychosis NOS and they can weigh that new diagnosis with the old diagnosis. Or the military can have their own psychologist/psychiatrist assess her and provide a third and final opinion on a diagnosis.
And lastly if the hospital will not agree to re-assess your daughter and put an amendment in her medical file than she can take legal action in civil court to have her medical record changed.
These would be the best ways to appeal the misdiagnosis or to help her to move forward from the misdiagnosis by just having the military assess her mental health. I hope this answers your questions and provides you with some guidance on this issue. I truly wish your daughter all the best and I hope this issue gets resolved very soon.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Related Mental Health Questions