How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an alcoholic..... It goes in cycles and I am tired of

Customer Question

I am an alcoholic..... It goes in cycles and I am tired of living like this. I want to know the steps I should take to start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are having this issue with alcohol , I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. For how long have you been addicted to alcohol?
2. What type of alcohol do you typically use? And how much per day or per week do you typically consume?
3. Do you also suffer from anxiety, depression, or any other psychological symptom(s) that you can think of?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a alcohol issue for years off and on. I drink hard liquor and I can drink a lot. I then come with beer... And then quit for weeks months or years. I am not super social, live in a small community and am the owner of two businesses. My husband recently asked me to give up mine to take on his that has grown tramensly in the last year and a half.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your responses as it helps me to better understand your situation. Typically the best type of treatment for your alcohol issues would be the use of Dual Diagnosis Therapy. This type of individual therapy focuses on the addiction, but also the underlying causes for the alcohol use/abuse (e.g. depression, anxiety, stress, etc...). This form of therapy has the best prognostic value because it will not just treat the symptom of the addiction, but will help you to develop better coping strategies to handle psychological stressors so that you will not have to rely on alcohol anymore. Here is a good website that you would want to look at to find a therapist near you and then after you enter your zip code, on the left-hand side you can select what treatment focus you want, like addiction.
This would be the first step to take and once you enter therapy/treatment you will be able to get on the right path to overcome this alcohol use disorder. The use of groups like AA or Al-Anon can also be added to your treatment plan, but these are only peer support groups and will not provide the same level of treatment as one on one therapy, so I still highly recommend the Dual Diagnosis Therapy. Based on what you described, I do not think you need any psychotropic medications to lessen the craving of alcohol, but it is an option as well for you.
I hope this gives you some guidance on what you need to do in order to overcome this alcohol use disorder. I wish you all the best and I hope you can overcome this addiction very soon.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much