Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What medication do I need to take if the doctor told me that

Customer Question

what medication do I need to take if the doctor told me that I have bipolar disorder and schizoaffective illiness since I was about 7 years old
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. There are a number of medications that can be taken to treat a Schizoaffective Disorder with Bipolar Features. Usually the first line treatment involves the combination of a mood stabilizer (e.g. Lithium, Depakote, Lamictal, Tegretol) and an antipsychotic medication (e.g. Risperdal, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Latuda, Geodon, Abilify, Saphris, Paliperidone). In addition to this first line treatment an antidepressant and/or a benzodiazepine can also be used if there are increased symptoms of depression and anxiety. Another treatment option would be the use of an antidepressant and an atypical antipsychotic medication, with the option of adding a benzodiazepine to help lessen anxiety and stress.
Overall though the one medication that is required to treat Schizoaffective Disorder with Bipolar Features would be an antipsychotic medication, then either a mood stabilizer (best treatment for Bipolar features) or an antidepressant can be used (both an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer can be used together as well). The benzodiazepine is an option to help lessen stress and anxiety for the patient.
I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on the typical medication regimen for this disorder. I wish you all the best with your treatment and I hope your symptoms lessen very soon.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much