How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 yr old has punched a whole in the wall. We are a solo

Customer Question

my 18 yr old has punched a whole in the wall. We are a solo mum family, with a younger child in the house. I wont tolerate this violence and need to know where to find help for my 18 yr old
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are having this issue with your son, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of what you are looking for, so that I can better assist you.
1. I am assuming that your son has a history of troubled behavior and aggression from what you are describing, so I would like to ask has he ever been put on psychotropic medications to help control his aggression? Would he be willing to go to a psychiatrist for medications now?
2. Your son used to have therapy before, would he be willing to undergo a form of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) to help control his anger and aggression?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he has tried antidepressants with no effect. Also due to his age, and minimal ongoing experimentation with alcohol and drugs, I am concerned that adding psych drugs to the mix is a dangerous recipe. Financially, I cannot afford therapy. I support three other children on my own. Do you know of programmes available that are lower cost? We are not Australian citizens.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
I am not based in Australia, so I do not know of any specific programs that can treat an adult male with aggression at low costs. I can only provide basic information on what treatments would be effective for a person with aggressive tendencies. I will opt out and allow for another expert to take your case who may know of specific low cost programs in Australia.
*Please do not respond after this as the question will just come back to me.