Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

A friend of mine has an 18 year old girl who has add

Customer Question
,tourettes, a lot of anger...
a friend of mine has an 18 year old girl who has add ,tourettes, a lot of anger and rage and has continual small strokes and uses marijuana . On top of that ptsd due to some experiences that happened to her in middle school.The family is really at the end of their rope and afraid for her. I have suggested the Lawless Peavy Center , but they live in California and feel she needs to be in a residential setting that can deal with all of the issues , everything near them is only drug and alcohol treatment based for adults. She seems to me to be emotionally younger than 18 emotionally. Do you have any suggestions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
5/8/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that your friend’s daughter is having these issues. Most private residential facilities will only focus on substance abuse and rarely are efficient in treating other mental illnesses. The best place for her to receive treatment would most likely be from a University Hospital setting as these setting can provide hospitalization, residential treatment in some circumstances, and a robust outpatient or partial hospitalization program for patients. So far the partial hospitalization program has had the most success in treating patients like this due to their focus on treatment during the day, but allowing the patient to return to their home setting at night. In addition, University Hospitals typically employ the best mental health professionals in the county as well with resources that are not seen in traditional general hospitals or residential treatment centers. The top University Hospital that focuses on psychiatric issues in California is the UCLA Resnick Neuoropsychiatric Hospital (also one of the top 10 psychiatric hospitals in the country).
https://www.uclahealth.org/resnick/Pages/default.aspx
The Stanford Psychiatric Clinic also provides Inpatient and Residential care for those that require assistance as well
http://med.stanford.edu/psychiatry/patient_care.html
In addition, the UCSF psychiatric Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital provides excellent inpatient care, partial hospitalization, and outpatient care.
http://psych.ucsf.edu/lpphc
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Hopefully your friend's daughter will respond positively to the treatment.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist