Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Can i just stop taking lexapro after 3 days? The insomnia is…

Can i just stop taking...
Can i just stop taking lexapro after 3 days? The insomnia is too much.
1/1/2015
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z :

This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I may be able to help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

If you have only been on the medication for 3 days then it is permissible to stop the medication right now with no risk for adverse effects

Dr. Z :

I would recommend though that instead of doing that you talk to your prescribing physician to either lower the dose of your Lexapro or to add a sleep aid medication to your treatment.

Dr. Z :

The insomnia related to Lexapro and other SSRI antidepressants is common and usually only temporary as your body adjusts to the medication

Dr. Z :

But if you stop the Lexapro after only taking it for 3 days is not going to cause you harm as it takes weeks for the Lexapro to reach therapeutic levels

Customer: Would taking it in the morning help?
Dr. Z :

Yes, actually Lexapro should always be taken in the morning initially because of the insomnia issue. That should have been on the prescription instructions from your doctor. If he/she told you to take it at night that was an oversight

Customer: It just said once per day. So if I took it last night, I can starting it in the am now.
Dr. Z :

You may still get insomnia taking it in the morning, but like I said that adverse effect is typically temporary and goes away after a few weeks as your body adjusts to the medication

Dr. Z :

Since you took it last night, it would be better to wait a day and then resume the Lexapro tomorrow morning

Dr. Z :

Give your body a day of rest

Customer: Ok. I need to decide if I can function with the lack of sleep. Or just deal with the anxiety
Dr. Z :

If the insomnia continues, you can ask your doctor for a prescription for a Non-Addictive sleep aid medication like a low dose of Trazodone to help you sleep. The insomnia issue related to Lexapro and other SSRI antidepressants is usually never permanent

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello I see that you rated me bad service, may I ask why?

I hit the wrong symbol. Your answer was excellent.

No worries, that happens sometimes. If you could rate this reply as "excellent" that will negate the accidental negative rating. Thank you and hope you had a Happy New Year
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist