RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I was prescribed adderall, I still have an old prescription

I was prescribed adderall, I still have an old prescription bottle. I live in France now, but when I tried to get my file from my psychiatrist, I found out that he passed away. What can I do so I can get my file and my prescription in order to continue my meds?
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I'm sorry to know about this frustrating and concerning situation.

Customer:

so what can I do in order to get my file and my prescription again?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me in what country are those files located?

Customer:

In California, USA?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see.Did your psychiatrist had his private practice, or did he supported you at a private or community clinic-hospital?

Customer:

It was private practice

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If your psychiatrist made everything in compliance with his professional, ethical and legal requirements for practice, all your records should me available from that local clinic. Did you happened to get any previous prescription refill from him while you were already living in France?

Customer:

yes but it was private practice and now all the # are disconected!

Customer:

What do you mean clinic

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Clinic meaning if there were any other doctors working at the same office-location.

Customer:

no just him it was private practice

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If you have no means to contact anybody at his office, if he did not provide you with an alternative phone number for emergencies,, you would have to try to contact a family member of friend who could actually locate your psychiatrist's family or coworker in order to get your medical files send to you. If that does not work, you would need to contact the county mental health department in CA, or state board in order to get further contact information and support on getting your files and prescription refill for one time until you get a local psychiatrist to support you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You will need to provide a signed consent to the person who would help you in CA too get thee paperwork ready and transferred to you. All this doctor's patients should have been taken by other known psychiaitrist he used to work with, this is why contacting a member of his family to find out who is the doctor taking this responsibility would be the best way to get your files and last refill.

Customer:

ok. and for how long the patient medical files have to be keeped?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Each state has it's own regulations, but it regularly is about 10 years from date the file was created.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

These record could be at least kept between 5 to 10 years in most places.

Customer:

so should I try contacting the neer by hospitals to see if he was affiliated with them? There was no other psychiatrist working with him!

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I just checked laws in CA and it shows that at least for 3 years for medical records retention.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Contact the CA Board of psychiatry and the local county mental health department, they should have detailed information about him, his practice and affiliations.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welocme