Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am.doing research on exercise as a treatment method for

I am.doing research on exercise as a treatment method for depression in adults. I need to ask a professional three questions affiliated with my research.
Do you see a percentage of patients that use exercise instead of oral antidepressants?
Do you see exercise as an more effective treatment for depression in adults versus antidepressants?
Do you find exercise a more common recommendation for treatment of depression than the presribing of antidepressants?
Any help u can give would be great. I won't be using any names, but teacher wants to know credentials. Thanks so much
Debbie Sprague
Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I can help you with answering your questions and first off I have a Psy.D in Clinical Psychology with a Forensic Psychology Focus and I also have a 2 year Post-Doctoral degree in Psychopharmacology

Dr. Z :

For your first question I do see a number of patients that are not using antidepressants and solely relying on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques or Dialectical behavioral Therapy (DBT) techniques. The reason for this that they do not like the use of antidepressants or relying on them, or their depression has lessened so much over time that the use of psychological techniques is enough to keep them stable.

Dr. Z :

For your second question, I think that the use of CBT and DBT exercises is more effective for the long run and for "curing" depression in most cases as the medications only lessen the symptoms. But I advocate for the use of antidepressants for serious depression and in early treatment, to make therapy techniques more receptive and therefore more effective for the patient.

Dr. Z :

And for your third question, i see the prescription of antidepressants more often than I see the use of therapy or therapy techniques to treat depression, which is ineffective because most depression is a result of environmental factors taking a tole on the patient's mental well being and that needs therapy. The medication will lessen the symptoms, but will not allow for the mind to process the reasons for the depression. The reason for this is because it is cheaper and less timely to prescribe a medication than to do therapy for the industry and for the patient.

Dr. Z :

I recommend both for most patients as studies show that a combination of CBT and medications are the best treatment protocol then just using one (therapy or medications) solely.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

Dr. Z.

Customer:

Thanks so much. I appreciate your timely response and this information has been very helpful.