Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Is insomnia during menopause a sign of bipolar?

is insomnia during menopause a sign of bipolar?
11/17/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are suffering with insomnia, I can understand how distressing that can be for you.

Dr. Z :

Insomnia during menopause is actually very common and does not necessarily mean you have a Bipolar Disorder. Here is a link briefly explaining that.

Dr. Z :

May I ask do you exhibit any other signs of Bipolar Disorder? Cycles of Depression and Mania? Rapid talking? Impulsivity? Racing thoughts? Bounds of energy?

Dr. Z :

If you do not display other signs of Bipolar Disorder, then most likely the insomnia is related to your menopause and not a Bipolar Disorder

Dr. Z :

I see that you are online, do you have any questions or concerns? Would you like me to go over Bipolar Disorder more thoroughly for you to help you get a better understanding of it?

Customer:

Yes. I was convinced that I was bipolar primarily based on insomnia and high anxiety. The bipolar diagnosis stuck. How can I challenge the consensus even at my age?

Dr. Z :

Anxiety and Insomnia is no where near enough to meet the criteria for Bipolar Disorder, I am sorry that happened to you. You can challenge the consensus by two ways I believe, one would be the simplest way and asking to speak to a new psychiatrist for a new evaluation. Or you can go to a specific psychologist called an Assessment Psychologist where they will run psychological assessments on you to determine if you have Bipolar Disorder or not. Simple psychological assessments can prove that you are not.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist