RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Looking for a therapist point of view.. if a client decided

Looking for a therapist point of view.. if a client decided to end their life, would you prefer they say goodbye (like in an email where it would be too late to 'change their mind') or that they just don't show up for next appointment so you could assume they just decided to quit?
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I will always prefer to know about it in order to do my best to support him/her

Customer:

and if it's past the point of support?

Customer:

probably not right

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If the therapist is truly a competent and ethical professional, he would always want and feel the need to prevent any tragedy or further pain in each one of his clients, no matter how tough their situation could be

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

We do take responsibility for our job and it means we need to be careful, alert and supportive enough to identify when our clients get that vulnerable in order to support them and prevent them from harming themselves

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thus if a client attempt suicide whether it leads to her death or not, we would immediately focus on how competently and ethically we did our job, because we care and it is about another human being life.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It is a tough responsibility.

Customer:

so you would blame yourself.. even though there is nothing you could have done anyway. that answers my question. thank you

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. I would always reflect on how well or not I supported my client in order to protect and promote his life integrity and well-being. this is why we do create prevention plans , contracts and constantly assess clients to see if they are doing well or not. Yes, that's how I would address it. it is a very serious situation.