Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have tried restoril, lunesta, ambient, seroquel, which

caused me to be hospitalized...
I have tried restoril, lunesta, ambient, seroquel, which caused me to be hospitalized, trazedone 100mg, and Lyrica. NONEwork and I am worn out! Help!!!
11/11/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

It appears that you have a serious case of insomnia from the medications that you have described

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask you has this insomnia been occurring for you and have you been to a sleep clinic for this at all?

Customer:

Yes we have done a sleep clinic. I was awake all night. DX was severe insomnia.

Dr. Z :

And for how long have you had this insomnia?

Customer:

The only med that allows me to sleep is xanax, which I now refuse to take as it scares me and my MD agreed.

Dr. Z :

It scares you because of the addictive effects?

Customer:

About 6 months with insomnia

Customer:

Yes and my Dr feels the same and will no longer prescribe

Dr. Z :

That is understood, but the benzodiazepines are very effective in treating insomnia. Another non-addictive medication you can try to take is called Gabapentin, which works like the benzodiazepines as it is a hypnotic and sedative medication, but not as strong as the Xanax. Also there is a medication called Remeron that has sedative qualities too. But because you have tried so many medications I am afraid you may be classified as medication resistant insomnia.

Dr. Z :

If that is the case, then you can try a novel approach to insomnia called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). It is primarily used to treat resistant depression, but it has been shown to be effective in treating chronic insomnia that is resistant to most medications

Dr. Z :

This study just came out in September I believe touting its benefits form chronic insomnia, so that can be an option if all the medications do not work for you

Dr. Z :

And here is a detailed look at what TMS is

Dr. Z :

Also I want to ask do you have trouble going to sleep or staying asleep?

Customer:

I have lost over half of your answer about the drug that is hypnotic and sedative

Customer:

Both going and staying

Dr. Z :

Really? I am so sorry, it must be a technical glitch. Can you scroll up using the bar on the right for the chat?

Dr. Z :

Well there is also another strong benzodiazepine, even though since you do not want Xanax you may not want this medication either, but it is called Triazolam

Customer:

No

Dr. Z :

Okay well non-addictive medication that is a hypnotic and sedative is called Gabapentin

Customer:

Is it addictive?

Dr. Z :

It works similar to the benzodiazepines, but not as strong though

Dr. Z :

The Triazolam is not as addictive as the Xanax

Dr. Z :

but still can be addictive

Dr. Z :

I just want to give you all your options.

Dr. Z :

The other medication is called Remeron, it is an antidepressant, that has sedative qualities too

Customer:

Awesome...I am so tired I can't go anymore

Dr. Z :

Also I wanted to add about Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) did you see what I wrote about that or did it get cut off?

Customer:

I did

Dr. Z :

Okay, well that is an option too if medications are not working at all

Dr. Z :

Also Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) in combination with the medications has been shown to be effective too

Customer:

Thank you so much. I will call my Dr yomm

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I wish you all the best with your treatment and I truly hope that you can cure this insomnia. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer:

I sure will!

Dr. Z :

Thank you I truly appreciate it :)

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist