How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am concerned that I am spending a great deal of time planning

This answer was rated:

I am concerned that I am spending a great deal of time planning out all possible scenarios for any given situation on a daily basis. I am afraid to talk to my doctor at the risk of sounding like a textbook "crazy." Are my constant stresses normal and I just need to learn to be an adult and live with them or have they gone over the edge? If so, what sort of treatment would I be looking at and would it be weird if I wrote down my questions in a letter form and gave them to my g.p. as I am unsure if I could say the words coherently aloud. I am just exhausted and feel anxious and fearful. You can't be forced into a hold for these sorts of thoughts can you? Part of me is afraid my doctor will dismiss my thoughts or think I am making them up. It may be relevant to include that I am currently take 40mg of fluoxetine daily for anxiety/depression I have mentioned to her in the past.
Thank you for requesting my help.

It sounds like you are experiencing obsessive thinking which could be connected to anxiety or possibly it is a precursor to OCD- Obsessive Compulsive disorder.

At this point, it is important that you see a therapist for an evaluation. You can see either a Master's level therapist, a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist. While seeing your G.P. is ok, your doctor is not trained specifically in mental health treatment. So seeing a specialist in mental health is your best option to getting an accurate diagnosis and treatment. Talk to your doctor about a referral to a mental health professional.

It is a good idea to write down your questions and your thoughts so the mental health professional you see can better understand what your symptoms are. Any way you can be specific helps to pinpoint what your diagnosis might be.

Treatment for an anxiety based diagnosis is usually medications and therapy. Both are very effective in helping you overcome your symptoms and manage them so you can feel better.

It also can help you to learn more about anxiety and OCD to see if you feel either one fits your symptoms. Here are some resources to help you:

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions