Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I need to know what negative changes, if any, there are when

I need to know what negative changes, if any, there are when taking Abilify. My main concern is with "impaired thinking". What does that entail exactly? Permenant damage? Is IQ affected at all? Or is on par with drinking alcohol? Is there any reporting of cognition loss or personality loss, or anything of that nature?
Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

There are no typical permanent changes involved associated with Abilify. Impaired thinking typically means a mild cognitive issue where you have a slow reaction time, difficulty focusing, difficulty recalling certain information, confusion, etc...But these issues are not permanent and usually temporary as your body gets used to the medication

Dr. Z :

Your IQ is not typically effected by this,but you may do worse on an Intelligence assessment because of this side effects, but like I said it is usually temporary and not permanently associated with this medication

Dr. Z :

Abilify can cause some "emotional numbing" where you are unable to feel your emotions (negative and positive), but usually this is dependent on the dose and is temporary for most users, although at higher doses it can be long lasting for as long as you use the medication

Dr. Z :

May I ask what dosage and for what reason were you prescribed the Abilify?

Dr. Z :

A long term effect that is possible, although less likely with this medication when compared to the older antipsychotic medications, are called extrapyramidal symptoms which are movement disorders characterized by an uncontrollable and involuntary movements of extremities and facial muscles typically. These are commonly seen with regular use of older antipsychotics, but not as much with the newer atypical antipsychotics although it is still a possibility and can be permanent as well.

Dr. Z :

Rare side effects associated with this medication and when they present require an immediate cesation of the medication are aggressiveness, suicidal thoughts, and irritability/anger

Dr. Z :

Other cognitive effects that are usually temporary and go away in a few weeks after use are depression, anxiety, and insomnia (which can cause cognitive difficulties from the lack of sleep).

Dr. Z :

I see that you are typing, so I will stop typing for now until you are finished.

Customer: You were a lot of help. I've been diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder and have been medicated at 30mg for hallucinations ans delusional thinking.
Dr. Z :

Okay so that definitely is at a higher dose, so you are at more of a risk for the associated side effects, but the potential cognitive and personality effects are usually temporary and stop after your body gets used to the medication or if you stop using the medication. The only possible permanent issue is with the extrapyramidal symptoms that I mentioned earlier, but these are at a much lower rate of possibility then when compared to an older antipsychotic medication, like Haldol

Dr. Z :

Still Abilify is also one of the safest of all the antipsychotic medications with one of the lowest incidence rates of all the atypical antipsychotics

Dr. Z :

So you should be fine with it

Customer: Okay. Thank you. You've been exceptionally informative.