How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have been separated since May 2010, and living

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have been separated since May 2010, and living in separate rooms under the same roof for 2 years before that. We have two children. My wife suffers from bipolar disorder and not long after I had moved out she had an episode in which I took the children for their own safety. The situation got worse so I had to file a vro against her which was granted protecting myself and mainly our two children. Since then I had dropped the vro 6 months before the expiry as she showed vast improvement. It's been 18 months and I find myself in the same position as she is unwell yet again and refusing medical help. I have the children in my care and a vro has been filed but the judge deemed it too harsh for the circumstances. She is now threatening me with a recovery order and visitation of my children every second weekend. We mutually agreed on a 50/50 shared basis but I cannot have her in this state take care of the children. So with no family law in place, no vro until another hearing on the 9th dec I don't know what to do. She has also trashed the house in which she lives (I pay half the mortgage as agreed) and I can't see myself selling the house while she still resides in it doing damage
Dr. Z :


Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Please give me a couple minutes to read over your question carefully, so that I can better assist you

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry for this situation with your wife and her current manic episodes associated with the Bipolar Disorder

Dr. Z :

May I ask how old are your children?

Customer: 8 and 7
Dr. Z :

Because you are worried about the safety of your children regarding your wife's current condition, I would definitely agree that having her see the children is not an option. You should hire a family law attorney to petition for a psychological evaluation questioning her mental state to care for the children.

Dr. Z :

Or you can contact the Department of Child Protection and discuss your situation, which will put a hold on her custody until she is at least interviewed and visited by a social worker, which should buy you enough time until December.

Dr. Z :

Now if she has made any violent statements recently where you feel you are in danger of your life, she can be committed involuntarily to a hospital for certain time period. You would have to alert the local authorities with your statement and they will take her to a loca hospital for an evaluation

Customer: The school had already reported her to DCP regarding her treatment of our son on school grounds
Dr. Z :

Since she has already been reported to DCP, then that is good for you in regards ***** ***** 50/50 custody, and that means if you put another complaint in then you will not be required to relinquish custody of the children until DCP's investigation is completed.

Customer: That was the first big episode in 2010
Customer: Ok now that has put my mind at ease
Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I still think calling the authorities would be appropriate too because she could qualify for "Grave Disability" where she cannot take care of herself and she can be hospitalized involuntarily and treated properly with the appropriate medications

Dr. Z :

Was there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: Ringing the authorities I gather would be the police?
Dr. Z :

Yes I mean the police when I say local authorities

Customer: Ok it's just with mental health there are so many ports of call before something gets done
Customer: But thank you I now have something to go on with and a clearer understanding
Dr. Z :

I understand, I worked at a fellowship in Melbourne for domestic violence victims for the government, so I am just letting you know of all your options

Dr. Z :

I am happy that I was able to help you in regards ***** ***** delicate situation, I hope you and your children are continuing to be safe and that your wife gets the treatment she so desperately needs. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer: Thank you for your help,
Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you