Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane (only)

Dear Dr. Keane, When leaving something, ie my voluntary work which as you know I’ve done for such a long time, it feels how I didn’t really expect it to feel. It’s like psychologically I’m pulling away, the motivation is different, lower even, and yet I still have a few weeks to go until I actually leave. Is this ok to feel like that? How can I stay motivated for the remaining time? Okay, things aren’t too bad anymore at work, still a bit anxous, but do think things will resolve, still feel a bit of angst though. That thinking things over for just 10 minutes can be a tough exercise at times, but trying hard to do that. I really hope to hear from you soon. I hope also to chat to you soon, but may end up working a bit late today, so all in all I am more anxous to hear from you. I hope you are having a good week. Thank you for your on-going and great support, you still help so much and I feel like I’m still growing thanks to all that I am learning from you, actually it helps too just to know that I can chat/post to you about things, it helps at times when I want to try new things too, knowing I can at least chat to you about it. Also I am wondering if you are still planning on being here next year too and if I can still contact you here? Often at this time of year I find myself hoping and thinking this.

Dr. Keane :

Hi, Of course it's okay to feel the way you do and you recognize the detachment and it's normal. If you tell yourself that you still have a responsibility until you do leave you'll find yourself not motivated as much as you were before but at least enough to get you to the end of your tenure. It's quite normal. This part of your career there is over, a new chapter beginning and that's where you want to start focusing your attention.

Dr. Keane :

I'll try to catch you online tomorrow just know it's a busy week here too!!!

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

thanks for getting back to me, I will probably be able to be here at 4pm but not for long. Much more time after 8pm my time on Wed. Just one of those days! I understand you are busy too. Hope it's a good one all the same.

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I am here too

Dr. Keane :

good!

Dr. Keane :

how are things today?

Customer:

I feel a bit better today than I have other days this week.

Customer:

I feel a bit more positive about things in some ways. What you said yesterday helped.

Customer:

I also think I feel a little bit calmer too.

Dr. Keane :

Good, Life is changing and you need to take some deep breaths and adjust, it is exciting actually.

Customer:

It is exciting. It's been awhile since so many things have changed at once, and good things at that.

Dr. Keane :

I was thinking about the way you said your were not motivated much at your volunteer position and I'm wondering if it was a paid position if you would feel differently, a check does motivate.

Customer:

I think it was just that I've been doing it for so long now, and it really has been a great time, but it feels more like I have sort of not completely lost interest but just pulling away mentally a bit, perhaps because it's only about 4 weeks or so until I do leave.

Customer:

I don't know if a pay check would be a motivator.

Dr. Keane :

that makes sense, since pulling away is normal.

Customer:

I haven't left so many things you see so didn't quite know how it would feel. I guess it wasn't quite how I imagined.

Customer:

but then I suppose it means that I am doing the right thing.

Dr. Keane :

Well just don't dwell on the difference between how your felt and how your thought you'd feel, and yes you are doing the right thing, as well as getting experience in interviewing.

Customer:

I don't mind doing voluntary work, been doing it since I was 20.

Customer:

Yes, I couldn't quite believe for a couple of days that I actually got that position. Just waiting for references to be completed before I can start.

Dr. Keane :

It's admirable and makes people feel good to volunteer. As long as it doesn't consume too much of your time and goals.

Customer:

Keeps saying you step out and back in chat.... so weird!

Customer:

Do you do voluntary work?

Customer:

It is nice to be able to give something back.

Dr. Keane :

Yes, especially in my field of work, do help with a lot of organizations

Customer:

The voluntary position that I am about to leave has been very consuming, great experience, gave a lot back to the community I live in and gained a lot of different experiences and learnt a lot too.

Dr. Keane :

Believe we learn from all our experiences

Customer:

I thought you might do voluntary work from the way that you seem so understanding of it. That's admirable too that you fit in voluntary work as well.

Customer:

Yes I think that too.

Dr. Keane :

always room to help, sometimes more than other times. As long as it balances out and doesn't exhaust me!

Customer:

The other voluntary work that I do is a bit less consuming and less exhausting, so will be a bit more balanced perhaps.

Customer:

That's nice that you help voluntarily too :)

Dr. Keane :

Can't stay online too long today just wanted to make sure you were okay

Customer:

I help with an organisation that works here and abroad with people that a friend of mine got me involved in

Customer:

Yes, I think I am more ok. One more question if I may?

Dr. Keane :

sure

Customer:

Just because it's something that is on my mind a bit at times. Are you planning on still being here next year as well and can I contine to chat to you?

Dr. Keane :

yes, as far as I know I'll be here.

Customer:

Also I want you to know that after reading what you wrote yesterday helped motivate me into doing a good job tonight at my voluntary position.

Dr. Keane :

good, glad to be able to support you

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very reassuring. I like chatting to you.

Customer:

)

Customer:

:)

Dr. Keane :

Reassuring is a good thing, have to run....have a good evening,

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hope that the week goes well for you. So glad we chatted tonight.

Dr. Keane :

me too.

Customer:

:)