RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hi there, women from Norway here :) I*m claustrofobic, scared

Hi there, women from Norway here :) I*m claustrofobic, scared of driving thrue tunnels, and there are a lot of those in my country. What can I do? thx
excuse my English
regards,
Lisbeth

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about thiis situation

Customer:

Hello :) any suggestion abt my problem

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For how long have you been suffering of this phobia?

Customer:

abt 5years

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What you report is a serious anxiety disorder, to the point you experience panic attacks, and having been living with this disorder this long would not make it easier unless you work on rehabilitating from it with adequate psychotherapy, since this is a mental health disorder. Did you suffer a trauma before this disorder started, or was ti gradual? Could you tell me more about it?

Customer:

I had it before too, but it started again after my father died, and I had a long underwater tunnel to drive home again. I panic and the police had to pick me up, after that no tunnels for me.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

AN extra problem you face right now is that you have been for too long with this disorder, apparently untreated, what does only reinforce and worsen it, as well as your chances for rehabilitation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your loss.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then that was a trigger for it to get back stronger and becoming this overwhelming.

Customer:

So what you mean is that I should start therapy?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

People who suffer of anxiety, when untreated, it would evolve and cause more serious disorders including phobias like this and panic disorder

Customer:

I don't have anxiety every day, but usually in elevators,which I don't take, and of course tunnels

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely, it should have been there from the very first time you started to feel overwhelming anxiety,before the phobia developed or right after any panic symptoms. What happens is that with time, your mind, and brain literally get programmed to work in this defensive-alert mode, blocking your ability to think, feel and cope in normal and effective ways.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Right, you are not aware of how your anxiety has been repressed and expressed mostly through this specific phobia. As you just described, once your father died and you went through a tunnel, it was the psychoemotional vulnerability at that time, which trigger your anxiety and the phobic response.

Customer:

okay, I better find me a therapist then, so my brain can cope with this :)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Anxiety is the fuel of your phobia, as as long as you do not learn how to control it, the phobia, the panic symptoms or any other similar symptom would remain and tend to get worse.

Customer:

understand :)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Effective psychotherapy for phobias could allow you to rehabilitate from it, while addressing not only the phobia itself, but also its triggers and any other factor making you vulnerable to suffer this disorder.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It would be a hard process, but necessary and absolutely worthy. Please do not delay it even more. Find an experienced professional psychotherapist with expertise in anxiety disorder-phobias.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust.

Customer:

okay,I will do. Thank you very much for your answer. Have a nice day :)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or to follow up, since I am here willing to support you as possible. Have a nice day too.

Customer:

Thank you, bye :)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bye :o)