Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My nephew is 8 and has been diagnosed with ODD, ADHD and

my nephew is 8 and has been diagnosed with ODD, ADHD and takes Stratera. I am concerned because he doesn't improve. He is manipulative, mistreats the dog, has been institutionalized because of his fits of rage and I am aftaid that when he is grown he will be a danger. He fits the article described by an Idaho mom, "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" to a tee. He could be the kid in that article and my sister faces the exact same issues. They live with me currently because she lost her job due to the times she had to leave work and pick him up from school or when he flatly refused to go. She is exhausted. In the short time they have lived with my family - I am completely stressed. He is obsessed with guns and talks about disproportionate revenge scenarios (powerlessness issues?). There is just no help. He won't talk to the therapists. He tells them they are wasting their time and he is not going to talk. If he was any other living creature (not human) he would be locked up or put down - but he is human and no one seems to be able to "fix" him. What do we do?
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern for your nephew

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your Nephew has been exhibiting these severe symptoms of ODD, I can imagine how much this distresses you about his future

Dr. Z :

You mentioned that he was institutionalized for one week, but i sounds like his symptoms are so severe that he may need more structural environments in the form of specialized schools or camps for these types of behaviors.

Dr. Z :

You are right that his symptoms and mental health disorder can progress to a more severe disorder called Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD) when he is older.

JACUSTOMER-c1wts9js- :

He is attending a public school, but takes special ed classes. Just began on Sept 30

Dr. Z :

In addition, sometimes the use of an atypical antipsychotic medication (e.g. Risperdal) can help minimize these aggressive symptoms

Dr. Z :

Well his symptoms are very severe and he is not responding to traditional therapy, so I would think that a boarding school that specializes with troubled youths like this may be effective for him or possibly a camp, but usually these camps take place in the summer time, so it would be too late right now.

Dr. Z :

Here are a list of the camps though

Dr. Z :

Here is also an example of a therapeutic boarding school too

JACUSTOMER-c1wts9js- :

How common is this? This is my first experience. It is disheartening that there are so few specialists or that they are hard to find.

JACUSTOMER-c1wts9js- :

I appreciate the help. I will check out the links and give my sister the information.

Dr. Z :

Typically ODD resolves in itself within 3 years (85 percent of children resolve on their own without treatment), but some individuals symptoms progress and get worse, which may be the case for your nephew (less than 5 percent according to the research).

Dr. Z :

In my opinion therapeutic boarding schools are the best for severe ODD as they give the child a structured environment and also provide them with the treatment needs as well

Dr. Z :

Most camps though usually run for a few weeks (8-12 weeks on average) and provide structure and also Wilderness training is a very popular to foster cooperative play among the youths and help them work together

JACUSTOMER-c1wts9js- :

I have a feeling that a boarding school is out of reach financially. But we will research. Camp does sound like it would be beneficial.

JACUSTOMER-c1wts9js- :

Anyway, I have to go (I am at work), but I appreciate your taking time to help.

Dr. Z :

Some boarding schools provide financial assistance to low income families, so it can be an option possibly

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I hope your nephew gets the treatment that he needs. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

JACUSTOMER-c1wts9js- :

thank you so much

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)