Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Dear Dr. Keane, I have an interview in a few days time....I

had a really nice time...
Dear Dr. Keane, I have an interview in a few days time....I had a really nice time away and enjoyed seeing Wicked. It was fun! I am back home now. I hope that we can catch up to chat. I hope somewhere our schedules match. Thank you again also for replying to me posts when I was away, it was very kind and really good to hear from you too.
10/21/2013
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Dr. Keane :

I am happy you have an interview coming up, I'll try tomorrow (Tuesday) during the day when I have time. Hopefully I'll catch you here. Wicked, great show....

Customer:

Hi, I am fairly certain that unless I get caught up in traffic or with something at work, then I can be back online about 4pm my time. It, in all probability won't be before then (unless I get lucky).

Customer:

I'll write more as soon as I get back anyway.

Customer:

and hopefully we can catch up here today when you also have time.

Dr. Keane :

ok will check again later

Customer:

thank you for being understanding.

Customer:

First thing's first, I was re-reading over a previous post too, so, if there is a technical glitch or something, I won't jump to a negative conclusion (still feel bad about the way I reacted, but very glad and happy and relieved that you are still willing to chat to me and also respond to my posts. It's very kind of you).

Customer:

I do want you to know that I know it may not always seem like it to you, especially of late, but I can honestly say that I do respect you and like you a lot and your opinions and thoughts count for a lot in my life and I highly value your support.

Customer:

Secondly, I have been trying to prepare a bit for my interview. It has been ages since I last had one, and one that had a successful outcome. I am naturally nervous about it. I got some tips from a friend who has had quite a few successful interviews, still, I have some angst about it, not just because of the interview, but its internal status (never been an internal candidate for an interview before), and the fact that by that time, I will still be on fluoxitine for pmt symptoms and will need to still be able to think quickly and form good, clear answers to the best of my ability, so I'm a bit nervous about that too. At the same time, it's good and if I don't get the position I know that it will be good interview practice (well, that's what I tell my friends anyway when they have an interview).

Customer:

Thirdly, (but not any less important than the first or second points), I hope that you have managed to get back into the way of work after a tough re-entry after your own good vacation........

Customer:

Fourthly, sorry for missing you earlier, tried to get internet access, but didn't manage in time.

Customer:

Finally, any interview tips you can give will be appreciated too.

Customer:

I guess you got too busy to chat when you were on-line later in the day. I look forward to what you have to say about my post though.

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I was about to have to leave, glad I have a bit of time again now.

Customer:

Glad too that you found the post.

Customer:

I hope it is working ok.

Dr. Keane :

it is, I'm reading hang on

Customer:

sure! sorry!

Dr. Keane :

It's an internal interview and they now want to pay you? good for you...

Dr. Keane :

oh, may be the job you get paid for..forget that last statement!

Customer:

Well, you know how I do library work (paid), but it's so unstable with so many changes. Well I went for a customer advisor post. It's still casual, but was encouraged by a member high up in that team to go for it.

Customer:

I think if I get it, then I will get to expand my skills and will be in a better position for a permanent job if one came up.

Customer:

That side of things also clearly isn't having the same budgeting issues and I'll still get to do library, but have a wider range of duties.

Dr. Keane :

Angst is normal and is good in some ways. If someone advised you to go for it then that person knows you'll do well. I think that it may be a good position, it will have you dealing with customers so I don't think you'll get bored! I think it's a great opportunity.

Dr. Keane :

Listen to your friend who gave you a few tips. I would only say to make sure you keep breathing during the interview! Be aware of your internal cues (anxiety, nervousness) so you don't nervous . Be yourself, keep your responses on the short side and smile, smile smile!

Dr. Keane :

get nervous

Customer:

When I first saw I got the opportunity of at least an interview I was excited, I saw my email when I was on holiday actually....No, I don't think it will be a boring position. I like helping people.

Customer:

Ah, yes my friend said to smile too.

Dr. Keane :

Make believe you are talking to a friend, know a few things about how you handle someone who is not happy, customer service requires a person who can handle difficult people and above all not react to a person's negativity by being defensive. If you go over a few scenarios with your friend that would help.

Customer:

I've also already had the opportunity to see a part of the system they use for taking people's payments for their rents and so forth too, so I'm hoping that, coupled with the library experience should stand me in good stead.

Customer:

We did go over quite a few points over dinner one night when I was on holiday (it was the friend who I was staying with who decided to give me her tips), she wrote down a couple of examples too.

Dr. Keane :

I use to work in retail part time and I use to play a game actually. If I encountered a negative or demanding customer my goal would not only be the "sale" but I wanted them to leave with a smile. I have to say I thought it was fun and challenging at the same time. Most of the time, not all though, it worked.

Customer:

Sounds good........You've certainly done a lot in your life so far! :)

Dr. Keane :

That's good, so you are ready! Don't get too anxious, allow yourself to feel it for a few minutes and then put it away.

Customer:

ok. Think I can do that.

Customer:

or at least try to anyway.

Dr. Keane :

I'm a people person and loved the employee discount!!!

Dr. Keane :

I'm sure you'll do fine. If you get it great, if not, as you said good practice.

Dr. Keane :

I'm glad you got to enjoy some time off, spend time with a friend and see a great show!

Customer:

I can tell you are a people person, and a good one at that. Nice that you got an employee discount. As a student I worked a bit in retail too.

Dr. Keane :

You need to cancel the other post so it doesn't get confused with this one or I have to go respond before they let me answer more questions

Customer:

Yes, I could see perhaps why you like Wicked so much. I had so much fun on holiday, saw and did just so many things. Got a city pass card, which was very useful and actually made some savings.

Customer:

I can do that.

Dr. Keane :

know that once you add to a post or answer a post it tells me when I log on...most times!

Customer:

sorry!!!

Dr. Keane :

Love London, so much to do. I may have to think about going there again sometime in the next year or so.

Customer:

cool!

Dr. Keane :

Other than the interview all is status quo?

Dr. Keane :

If so I have to fly, just stopped by to see if you were here as promised

Customer:

Well I can certainly tell you lots of things that I've enjoyed in London before you go. You should look into getting a London City Pass. It lets you into lots of attractions.

Customer:

Things are ok

Customer:

Thank you for stopping by :)

Customer:

Much appreciated and thanks for chatting.

Customer:

Hope to again some time soon.

Dr. Keane :

good, I got a London Pass on a few trips at the urging of a Londoner friend! Glad I caught up with you. Have a great evening.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist

Dear Dr. Keane, I just want to say thank you so much for taking time to chat to me yesterday. Thank you for continuing to want to help and to chat to me. I will try my best to be more worthy of your time and a better customer to you too. As I've said before I do have a high regard for you and really like you too. I did have a great evening thanks and I hope you did too. I will let you know if you like how the interview goes tomorrow (Thursday). Thanks again for still being here and for keeping your promises. I am very grateful and it always feels a happy and nice time talking to you. I don't know if any of this is necessary for me to say, but I felt I had to say it anyway as I feel like I should make amends still and will keep in mind what you have said that you do get posts when I add to a post..... because I think you are more than worthy of that, and because I do find you to be a great person and hope to be able to chat to you again some time soon.

thank you! good luck tomorrow!
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist