Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Is schizophrenia linked to trichlorothylene

Is schizophrenia linked to trichlorothylene...
Is schizophrenia linked
to trichlorothylene
10/15/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Schizophrenia causation is still being understood but typically it regarded as a genetic and biological disorder which presents itself when an individual is a young adult.

Dr. Z :

But trichloroethylene has been known to cause psychotic symptoms similar to schizophrenia, so it can cause psychosis

Dr. Z :

Here is an older article that you can purchase that can explain the psychosis as a result of trichloroethylene poisoning

Dr. Z :

Also this article can explain it as well

Dr. Z :

Dr. Z :

In addition, with a population that is genetically susceptible to schizophrenia there are studies that show childhood abuse or neglect that can be associated with increasing the risk of being diagnosed with schizophrenia as an adult.

Dr. Z :

So at this time there is no link to trichloroethylene and schizophrenia at this time, but it can cause psychosis which presents itself similarly to schizophrenia based on the symptoms

Customer:

Can you contact me by telephone? I was exposed to TCE for a period of 1 year and diagnosed w/ paranoid schizophrenia 3 years later when I WAS 23

Dr. Z :

Actually at this time, this website does not allow me to make phone calls, but I would be happy to help you through this chat. There are three possibilities here. At the age of 23, this is actually a common age of onset for Schizophrenia (average age of onset is 18-25 years old), so it possible that the diagnosis of Schizophrenia Paranoid Type was correct. The other possibility is that this was TCE poisoning at that your psychotic symptoms were temporary and may have resolved in time. The third possibility is that the TCE caused serious brain damage to the frontal and temporary lobes and hippocampus, which caused permanent psychosis, this is called a Psychotic Disorder due to a General Medical Condition. One way to know for sure is to get a Functional MRI scan to detect if any brain damage occurred or to detect if there are signs of Schizophrenia like loss of brain volume and increased ventricle size.

Dr. Z :

I am very sorry that you were exposed to TCE and diagnosed with Schizophrenia, I can understand how distressing this is for you

Dr. Z :

Did you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

i

Dr. Z :

I am sorry I think you got cut off there when you were typing I only see that you wrote "i"

Customer:

my keyboard wo

Customer:

My keyboard is sticky so please bear with me.

Dr. Z :

Its okay, please take your time. There is no time limit on these chats. I am here to help you for as long as you need it

Customer:

On numerous occasions it was my job to clean the degreaser and got inside it to clean the metal filings out with a coal shovel.

Customer:

I've been on social security for most of my life and my wive is my

Customer:

gardian.

Dr. Z :

I understand, and I am so sorry that you may have been exposed to high doses of TCE as it is an industrial solvent. So it is possible that the TCE caused your psychotic symptoms. It would be difficult to differentiate which one caused your symptoms as TCE poisoning can cause permanent damage. The best way to determine if Schizophrenia or TCE caused your symptoms would be the MRI scan I mentioned earlier.

Customer:

my wife has MS. and we

Dr. Z :

I am sorry to hear that, I can imagine how that can be stressful for her

Customer:

I will follow your advice and have an MRI Whatis my next step?

Dr. Z :

Well after that you would want to consult with a neurologist or neuropsychologist. If your symptoms are caused by TCE, then there is a chance they may be temporary. If it is caused by Schizophrenia then this a lifelong disorder that can be managed successfully with the use of antipsychotic medications.

Customer:

When we close this conversation are you going to keep in touch with me?

Dr. Z :

Yes even after you rate me with the smiley faces at the bottom of this chat, you can stay in touch me free of charge by asking follow-up questions at anytime if you like

Customer:

Thank you for this info, you have giving me hope!

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist