Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What would you say has been the main cause of the dichotomy

What would you say has been the main cause of the dichotomy in the way physical and mental health issues have traditionally been addressed by the health delivery system?
I am confused by this question being specially asked to me by my online professor, who took this question verbatim off of Wiki. Could use some clarifying of how to answer the question.
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

Dr. Z :

Well this is definitely a question that has been addressed by numerous organizations in the last few years, especially when that Affordable Care Act (e.g. Obamacare) was, and still is, being debated in Congress.

Dr. Z :

The main reason for the dichotomy of this is because we are focused on the Medical Model for treatment and that medical model does not work for mental health issues typically. The medical model involves medication and then you are cured or managed, but with mental health issues there also must be a therapy component and this is often overlooked with the health delivery system

Customer:

ok great!! I over analyze and am probably doing so with the question. Could first use a more simplistic way of understanding the question.

Dr. Z :

Well basically it is just talking about why there is a division of treatment and care for physical/organic medical issues and mental health issues. Typically mental health issues are usually given far less priority when health care is concerned.

Dr. Z :

And I believe that the question is asking why this is

Dr. Z :

And like I said I believe that the medical model is trying to be used to deliver health care and that is basically to push medications and put less priority on therapy. But while medications are useful for most mental health disorder, they are not a cure and only lessen the symptoms. Only therapy can truly cure someone, but this does not follow the medical model of health care delivery.

Dr. Z :

Also organic/physical medical problems can usually be identified through medical tests (e.g. blood tests, xrays, MRI, etc...) while mental health issues are traditionally identified by symptoms, which can lead to different interpretations sometimes. In addition, there is also a stigma attached to mental illness still and that is another reason for the division in healthcare delivery.

Dr. Z :

Are you still there?

Dr. Z :

Mental health issues are also poorly understood fully and this causes chief health care delivery services by insurance companies to not put in the full forth effort to treat it. They are poorly understood partly because it involves the most complicated part of the human body and also how we cannot see it objectively from the outside. In addition, they usually take a long time to treat mental health issues through therapy with no sure results and this causes insurance companies to be wary and limit treatment, while physical/organic medical issues have more certain prognosis rates.

Dr. Z :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concern, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

thanks I think I am still confused