Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My brother inlaw has been diagnosed with persecetory

disorder his wife wants to...
My brother inlaw has been diagnosed with persecetory disorder his wife wants to have an intervention Sunday to get him to northshore hospital any advice on what not to do?
10/12/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry to hear about your brother in law, I can imagine how distressing this must be for him and your family

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a couple questions to get some more information, so that I can be better able to assist you

Dr. Z :

For how long has your brother-in-law exhibited signs of this disorder?

Dr. Z :

Also how long has he been seeing a psychologist?

Dr. Z :

And what exactly are his persecutory beliefs typically?

Customer:

2 yrs

Customer:

About A year

Customer:

He's being watched muff attacked posioned his dog

Dr. Z :

And may I ask, was the intervention the psychologist's idea?

Customer:

Poisining him as well

Customer:

Sorry for spelling mugedand attacked people breaking in to apartment

Dr. Z :

Its okay, no worries about the spelling

Customer:

No wife

Dr. Z :

Usually interventions with someone with these type of delusions are not ideal because they end up being more paranoid usually, but since he has been going to a psychologist he may be more open to it. Although the numbers of the people at this intervention should be small and of close personal friends that he trusts

Customer:

She's asked my wife me to of his close friends and hismom

Dr. Z :

Okay that is a small amount of people, so this should be okay. When you speak to him, use a lot of "we" and "us" so it seems like you are in this together. Do not accuse him of anything, dismiss his delusions, or judge him.

Dr. Z :

What you want to do is also be objective with him and ask questions to help him come with an objective solution (e.g. so these people may be coming after, what else do you think is possible?). Leading him to the solution of gaining insight on his mental illness and that he needs help

Customer:

Ok great the goal is to get him to hospital Sunday hospital has been notified how do we work that

Dr. Z :

Will his psychologist be at this intervention at all?

Customer:

No does not want to break trust I'm told

Dr. Z :

That may make it harder because obviously the psychologist can talk about advanced treatment at a hospital. Try to emphasize that he will be safer in a hospital and that he will get better. Also you want to reassure him that you are not going to abandon him. Tell him that you will visit him regularly and that you are a team that want to support him

Dr. Z :

He cannot be forced for this treatment, so he must be convinced that he will be safe, that no one will hurt him at the hospital, and that he will get better there too

Dr. Z :

Here are some worksheets that can help your brother-in-law help process things more objectively too.

Customer:

Ok thank you to the best of your knowlege is this treatable can he recover

Dr. Z :

This can help him gain insight into his disorder and why he needs treatment in a hospital

Customer:

I'll say goodnight after that and thank you

Dr. Z :

This is a difficult disorder to treat if he was diagnosed with Delusional Disorder Persecutory Type. It usually takes at least 1-2 years of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to treat.

Dr. Z :

But it is treatable if your brother-in-law is motivated.

Dr. Z :

Also this book may help with the intervention if you download before Sunday and give it a quick read

Customer:

Is it genetic

Customer:

Thank you fromall of us

Dr. Z :

Individuals with a Delusional Disorder have a strong genetic susceptibility, but we think it is brought on by environmental stress. So you would have to be susceptible first through genetics and then stress can bring it on for most people

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

No goodnight

Dr. Z :

Well I wish your brother-in-law and your family all the best and I hope he seeks treatment at this hospital. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist