Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have a 4 yr old nephew and hes the most lovable little guy

I have a 4 yr old nephew and hes the most lovable little guy and is happy for the most part...So the other day I heard him say "I hate my life" that's heartbreaking to hear from a 4 yr old..My brother and his wife are great parents so I don't understand why he would say that...My question is is that normal for a 4 yr old to say he hates his life? Does he really understand what he said ?if he was a teenager it would be a little different but he's so young is this something to be worried about? Any information would be greatly appreciated.. thank you
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help with this situation.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A four-year-old child has very little concept of such abstract thoughts such as hating his life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You must judge him by his actions, which are that he appears to be a happy and loveable child.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You must also examine his environment: he has great parents.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He has heard this phrase somewhere else, perhaps TV or even a cartoon. The character might say it when they feel mopey or they are not getting exactly what they want.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that there is no depth of meaning to this phrase. He is just saying it because of some minor disappointment. Children live so much more in the here and now, and when things are not going well they might verbalize it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems as if he probably DOES love his life and that is what he demonstrates most of the time.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If he says it again, just ask him why. Don't ask him now, but only if those words come out of his mouth. Then you will convince yourself that nothing is wrong.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are a wonderful uncle and a great blessing to him that you are alert to his possible needs and problems.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In this case, I urge you not to worry. I believe that there are no problems of any consequences, but rather the little momentary angst of a toddler overstating a situation with a catch phrase that he does not understand or feel.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep your family in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer you have been a great help and relief