Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been on Effexor for the past 2 years, currently on

I have been on Effexor for the past 2 years, currently on 112.5 mg daily. Doing very well on it except for the weight gain and my inability to lose the extra 10-12 lbs (5'2 ft)even with great diet and exercise. Effexor has worked very well compared to other antidepressants I have tried in the past. My primary care suggests a no-carb diet, etc. Are there any other options available in order to help my weight loss? Perhaps combining the Effexor with another antidepressants? Any suggestions would be much appreciated since the extra weight is also causing anxiety and sadness. thank you
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you have been experiencing this weight gain with the Effexor, unfortunately that can happen.

Dr. Z :

Now some individuals have been prescribed Wellbutrin in addition to the Effexor. Wellbutrin is an effective antidepressant and has been shown to curb appetite and promote weight loss.

Dr. Z :

Now the issue with combining these medications is that when combined they can cause a syndrome called Serotonin Syndrome, which is very severe. This is why you cannot use high dosages when combining these two medications.

Dr. Z :

So if you are prescribed low or moderate dosages of the Wellbutrin and Effexor (You are a low dose of the Effexor right now), then you can take both medications with a low risk of developing Serotonin Syndrome.