Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son is 16.He has a problem with anxiety to particular

subject.What can i do.How can...
My son is 16.He has a problem with anxiety to particular subject.What can i do.How can I help him.He sad anxiety coming for no reason
9/21/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern about your son. The original expert you requested "Dr. Mark" is not available right now, but would like me to help you with your question?

Dr. Z :

Or I can opt out and you can wait for Dr. Mark to come back online which should be sometime tonight

Customer:

yes

Dr. Z :

Yes you would like to wait for Dr. Mark?

Customer:

i would like to see if you can help

Dr. Z :

Oh okay, well I would like to ask a couple questions to get some more information to be able to give you the best answer possible

Dr. Z :

How long has your son been exhibiting these symptoms of anxiety?

Customer:

i am ready

Customer:

started in July

Dr. Z :

And you said his anxiety was to a particular subject, what subject is that?

Customer:

knife

Dr. Z :

Any reason why a knife specifically?

Customer:

he sad he doesn't know why knife.He sad he is afraid he can do anything to him (damage) and not able to control it but he is controlling so far

Customer:

i don"t know where it coming from?

Dr. Z :

So he is afraid that he will hurt himself with the knife or that someone else will hurt him with the knife?

Customer:

himself

Customer:

he is asking me to hide a knife

Customer:

and he feels beter

Dr. Z :

Does he feel depressed at all or is it just these unwanted thoughts of possibly hurting himself?

Customer:

no depression just unwanted thoughts of possibly hurting himself?

Dr. Z :

Okay well he may have something called Harm Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) where individuals have intrusive thoughts and compulsions to cause harm, and sometimes to themselves. Here is a good link explaining Harm OCD in more detail for you

Dr. Z :

He should definitely go to a therapist or psychologist that specializes in OCD behavior. The therapist or psychologist will most likely use something called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Exposure Therapy to help alleviate these intrusive thoughts and compulsions. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen. Also Exposure Therapy is used gradually expose your son to the stimuli (e.g. knife) until it does not cause these thoughts and compulsions

Dr. Z :

Here are also some really good OCD treatment books as well

Customer:

I hope to find good psycologist

Dr. Z :

Would you like me to make some suggestions for psychologists/therapists in your area? He also may need to see a psychiatrist for medications to better control these intrusive thoughts

Customer:

No medication just a therapists, Maryland 20878

Dr. Z :

That is fair, I just wanted you to be prepared that he may be recommended to see a psychiatrist by his future therapist and I wanted to give you all options available to you. Give me a few minutes to compile a list of good therapists/psychologists in your area.

Dr. Z :

Here is a good list of therapists/psychologists in your area that specialize in treating OCD

Customer:

i think medications is make you life worse

Dr. Z :

I agree that medications do have side effects, but sometimes they are necessary for certain individuals. Also for your son, the medications can be used temporarily to give him immediate relief until the therapy techniques start to be effective, which usually achieve maximum effectiveness in 9-18 months for this type of disorder.

Dr. Z :

But this is your decision, and I just wanted to give you all your options so that you can make an informed decision about treatment for your son

Customer:

i understand i am thinking the best way to begin with the therapy

Dr. Z :

I agree, I think therapy is the best option. The medications just lessen the symptoms, but will not cure it. Only therapy can cure your son

Customer:

yes

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist