RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

My wife had a psychotic breakdown 5 days ago. She believed

Hello, my wife had a psychotic breakdown 5 days ago. She believed she was visited and possessed by a demon. Since that time she has been having fits where she believes the demon is attacking her. She is not sleeping well, eating or going to work. She needs to be in a church and broke into one through the window while it was closed. She now believes our house is evil and will not come home and is staying at a hotel. Other then fully believing she is being visited by a demon she is reasonable when talking to.
She is 38 years old and does not have a history of mental issues. I took her to the ER where they ran some tests, but did not find anything. We are following up with a spiritual psychologist that is part of a larger practice that includes other psychologists and psychiatrists.
Is this enough? Should we be doing anything else?
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this overwhelming situation.

Customer:

Hello, thank you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome.Thank you for joining the chat

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Are you aware of any traumatic or very stressful situation affecting her recently or for long term before this episode started?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is clearly a psychotic episode and what professionals through direct evaluation would have to find out is what led to it.

Customer:

No traumatic or stressful event - our lives were going very well until this happened. She has always been very spiritual and believed she could communicate with spirits, but nothing like this.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It she has not used any drugs that could have caused or triggered this episode, and there have been no traumas nor violence involved, but she has been a very spiritual-religious person, who believes she can communicate with spirits, then this context could have let to this psychotic crisis. Most times people do have a genetic predisposition to develop mental health disorders, and when feeling overwhelmed by specific circumstances, different factors could trigger their development.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Is it common and acceptable in her culture for people to believe they can communicate with spirits?

Customer:

She fully believes that what is troubling her is paranormal, but understands that to everyone else it will look like a psychotic breakdown.

Customer:

It is not common, but my wife has gravitated towards other people with those beliefs. However, the few people she has told about this episode, do not seem to know what to do about a demonic possession.

Customer:

She is willing to to get traditional help to satisfy me, but I'm not sure if we are doing enough. Will a weekly or bi-weekly psychologist session be enough. She has not been working, this is affecting my work. She is staying in a hotel and wants to move immediatly (which would be a great cost to us). I'm worried, that this can break us financially if we don't deal with it fast enought.

Customer:

And no, she has not used any drugs or anything else that would have caused this.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

When beliefs powerfully impact a person's mood, mental health, functioning and relationships, it is obvious there is something unhealthy at their core undermining the person's judgment and well-being. Since she has been literally deepening her beliefs and sensitivity around these issues, it is not uncommon for her now to suffer of these problems, once the very nature of this belief system do promotes this type of scenarios, an people who happen to be more sensitive and vulnerable , could truly suffer a lot from them.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

No, I do not believe weekly sessions would be enough, in my opinnion your wife requires intensive inpatient treatment rather than weekly outpatient support

Customer:

OK, I have been avoiding that, but my fear is that is the correct course of action.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then II do believe she requires intensive inpatient treatment in order first to get a stable mood, get adequate therapeutic support, medical assistance as necessary since she has not been eating nor sleeping enough, and these all factors could deeply undermine her mental condition even more.

Customer:

OK, thank you for your time.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am an integral & transpersonal psychotherapist, thus I respect, take into account and support clients' belief systems, and from experience know that spiritual experiences are the most powerful experiences human being could have, and when they get distorted, they could overwhelmingly damage metal health, functioning and whole lives, and that's why necessary competent professional therapeutic support is so necessary. It is hard to find a competent professional or residential program, but it is necessary and worthy for sure. Please look for a center offering inpatient treatment with holistic or integral therapeutic approaches, since only there she could receive adequate treatment instead of being considered as simply psychotic and medicated, which is the last thing I would suggest for her. Numbing her with antipsychotics would not be a wise treatment option, She needs competent and ethical integral and intensive psychotherapeutic interventions. Thus the professionals to support her must be experts in the specific areas. Conventional behavioral therapy and medication would not be a good option for sure. Please look for a residential/ inpatient treatment center offering integral or holistic therapeutic approach/therapies. I'd be here to follow up and support you if possible. thank you for your trust.