Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Once the traumas were recoverred and discussed, the alters

Once the traumas were recoverred and discussed, the alters seem to have no memory of discussing the traumas. Suggestions?
Dr. Z. :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z. :

I am sorry that you are having this issue concerning the trauma and with your alters remembering the discussion of the trauma.

Dr. Z. :

May I ask for clarification, you said that you have tried re-reading the accounts of the trauma. Is this a journal that your alters are meant to read?

Customer:

These are stories, dreams and accounts of different episodes as they were remembered. Many were written by the alter that stayed during the abuse while the others left.

Dr. Z. :

And some of the other alters did not read these accounts as they were remembered or just do not remember reading them?

Dr. Z. :

Sometimes the medium of the written word is not a very good method of communication to the other alters. Studies have showed that when other alters are present the Limbic System and Right frontal lobes are highly active suggesting creativity and emotion are dominant. This is why art therapy, such as drawing or poetry, and hypnosis are very effective means of communication to the other alters.

Customer:

The rest of them read them eventually- but the discussions w/ therapist re: the events is not remembered. All of the alters remember or have learned what transpired- what the mystery is is that no one remembers discussions w/ therapist detailing the traumas.

Customer:

Many of the stories, dreams etc were also done in drawing and coloring of actual events. Which we have and have looked at.

Dr. Z. :

Okay, have you tried hypnosis or Eye-Movement Depersonalization Reprocessing (EMDR) during therapy?

Dr. Z. :

Studies have shown hypnosis to be very effective in helping retain discussions with the therapist and EMDR is a very effective modality for trauma and neural processing to help the alters remember discussions during therapy.

Customer:

Have tried some hypnosis- no EMDR

Dr. Z. :

EMDR has been used effectively for trauma in the past, but it has not been shown in studies to help with Dissociative Identity Disorder as well, so that can be an option for you, but you would have to find a therapist that specializes in that.

Dr. Z. :

Or you can try more intensive hypnosis. The reason your alters may not be remembering the discussions with your therapist about the trauma is because they may not feel safe and are still blocking it

Dr. Z. :

EMDR and hypnosis helps to remove that block

Dr. Z. :

In addition to the creative process, some alters respond well to clay building, collages, different mediums of creativity and art that is not limited to drawing.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice- I just feel like all of it happened to soomeone else- not me.

Dr. Z. :

You mean the trauma?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Z. :

I am sorry, I know it feels that way because your alter experienced the trauma, but you and your alters are a community and must work together to get past this trauma and start to heal.

Customer:

Thank you for your time

Dr. Z. :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with?