Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I WAS ON .5MG OF KLONOPIN ONCE DAILY FOR ANXIETY FOR APPROX.

2 1/2 MONTHS. THE LAST...
I WAS ON .5MG OF KLONOPIN ONCE DAILY FOR ANXIETY FOR APPROX. 2 1/2 MONTHS. THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF THE 2 1/2 MONTHS I REDUCED THE DOSAGE TO .25 FOR 7 DAYS THEN TO .I25 FOR 6 DAYS TO WEEN OFF. THEN I STOPPED TAKING IT . I FELT GREAT FOR 9 DAYS OFF THE MEDICATIONS THEN ON DAY 10 I STARTED TO FELL DEPRESSED AND THE ANXIETY STARTED TO COME BACK IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY OFF AND ON FOR THE LAST 5 DAYS COULD THIS BE A SIDE EFFECT OF STOPPING THE MEDICATION. IAM ALSO ON LEXAPRO 10MGS ONCE DAILY FOR ANXIETY ALSO AND I STILL AM TAKING THAT.
THANK YOU ,
JEFF
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am so sorry that you have been experiencing these symptoms of increased depression and anxiety

DoctorZ :

I can say that you did a great tapering off schedule with the Klonopin and that most likely these are not withdrawal symptoms based on the tapering schedule and the low dose of Klonopin you were using.

DoctorZ :

Anxiety and depressive disorders typically co-occur around 60-65 percent of the time, so ti sounds like the Klonopin was managing your anxiety well, but when you stopped the Klonopin the anxiety returned and this caused depressive symptoms as well because like I said these two disorders are usually closely intertwined.

DoctorZ :

If you do not want to go back onto the Klonopin or another benzodiazepine, then you can ask your physician or psychiatrist to increase your dosage of the Lexapro to see if that will help manage these symptoms.

Customer:

WOULD YOU SUGGEST TAKING THE KLONOPIN AS NEEDED UNTIL I CAN GET INTO SEE MY DR. I AM REALLY TRYING TO SATY OFF THE KLONOPIN BUT I MIGHT NEED IT OCCASIONALLY

DoctorZ :

You can take the Klonopin as needed to help manage your anxiety until you see your doctor. You seem very well versed that this is a physically addicting medication based on how well you tapered off of it.

Customer:

I NOT WOORIED ABOUT GETTING ADDICTED TO IT IM JUST CONCERNED ABOUT THE HORROR STORIES I VE HEARD ABOUT PEOPLE TRYING TO GET OFF IT

DoctorZ :

Well you had a very low dose and you weaned off it very well in my opinion, but if you are concerned there is a good tapering off schedule called the Ashton manual that you can follow although I do not think you need to be concerned because you also would have felt withdrawal effects during the time you were weaning off the Klonopin

Customer:

OK THANKS FOR THE INFO THAT DOES HELP

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist