Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have postpartum depression still after 2 years when my son

I have postpartum depression still after 2 years when my son was born; anxiety, and have panic attacks 4 to 5 times a day. She has prescribed me 2 mg of Xanax XR 2 times a day. XR doesnt work on my. I was previously on clonazapam he said the next step was xanex 1mg 3 times a day. Then eventually 3 2mg xanex a day how do I approach my new doctor to let her know that the medication I am on now is not working like I would it too. She is an excellent doctor but I just need advice. Im stumped. Some body please help. Thanks so much.
DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you are still exhibiting symptoms of postpartum depression after 2 years.

DoctorZ :

While it seems like you think your doctor is good, you are not satisfied with your current medication regimen

DoctorZ :

One way of telling your new doctor is that you feel that your symptoms are still present and have not decreased since being on this medication regimen and you would like some alternative options to help alleviate the symptoms you are feeling.

DoctorZ :

This way you are not demanding to change medications, but instead you are asking for options that can be proposed

DoctorZ :

May I ask are the benzodiazepines the only medications you have tried to help relieve your symptoms?

Customer:

No I am not I was raped I have a fear of just leaving my home because im afraid and terrified that I may run into him. My son is my world ive been taking xanax for about 3 to 4 years I dint know what to say to her that can help her realize that I dont have a social life because of the incident. What do I do??

DoctorZ :

Another option to approach your doctor is by asking for a second opinion. Most physicians are professional and will not take offense to asking for a second opinion, in fact many doctors confer with their colleagues to determine the best treatment for the patient, so asking for a second opinion is completely warranted.

DoctorZ :

Oh I am so sorry I did not know that was your situation

DoctorZ :

I think seeing a therapist that specializes in trauma and post-partum depression can help you a lot and can help prepare you for talking to your doctor or can talk to your doctor for you

DoctorZ :

I think that adding an antidepressant to your benzodiazepine will help you as well

DoctorZ :

If you want to tell your doctor about what happened you do not have to tell her about the rape in detail. You can say that you have suffered from physical and sexual abuse in the past and that has caused some PTSD symptoms, including panic attack, hypervigalance, and an excessive startle response that causes you to fear going out in public

DoctorZ :

Sometimes having a close friend or family member with you when you speak to your doctor can help give you the support and strength to talk about this as well

Customer:

What exactly sould I say to her. Ive tried everything and xanex 2mg 3 times a day will do the trick I have Misophonia and fibromyalgia and it causes my to go into a panic. Like I said I have a 2 year old son and want to be normal again.

DoctorZ :

Another good technique is to write down all your thoughts that you want to tell your doctor before hand and either read straight from that or just hand the piece of paper to her with your thoughts.

DoctorZ :

So for what you should say...I would say that you were physically and sexually abused (you can go into details if you want, but it is not necessary) and that you feel you have PTSD and this causes extreme anxiety, panic attacks, hypervigalance, nightmares, anticipatory anxiety of the possibility of seeing your abuser and that only the right medications (the xanax 2mg 3x a day) helped with these symptoms.

DoctorZ :

Only that combination of medication made you function normally and be a good mother for your son. This is what I would say to her to make her understand what you are going through

DoctorZ :

I also am not sure if you are seeing a therapist, but I can refer you to one in your area and also that therapist can write a letter confirming your PTSD diagnosis to further convince your doctor to prescribe those medications that were working for you

Customer:

Yes I would love that I am not sure if you are at work but id like to give my info to you over the phone.

DoctorZ :

Actually, the rules on the website do not allow for me to exchange personal information with customers including phone numbers, email addresses, and full names. I think is part of the website trying to keep things confidential

Customer:

Yea do find me a doctor im desperate.

DoctorZ :

Sure, may I have your zip code please

Customer:

78801 or I can travel to hondo or san antonio as long as they take medicaid I am a single mother. Living on my own.

DoctorZ :

Okay give me a few minutes to compile a list for you

Customer:

no problem

DoctorZ :

Okay so these therapists have specialization in treating individuals that have PTSD and are victims of sexual abuse, and they all accept medicaid.

DoctorZ :

The first one I feel is the best therapist for you based on your symptoms and history that you told me

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

No thank you but you have been a tremendous help thank you for everything

DoctorZ :

I am happy to help. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

DoctorZ :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also I wanted to let you know that I went to see her and she said she doesn't want to give me regular xanex , why I don't know I don't have a history of abuse and she knows that I need something fast acting.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also where are you located

Hello, I am so sorry that your prescribing physician will not give you the fast acting Xanax. Did she give you any other options besides the Xanax XR? Because Ativan may be effective for you as well if she is willing to prescribe it, although I do not know why she would prescribe that and not Xanax. Also can you find a new prescribing physician at all? I am actually located in Northern California.