Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am a 35 yo WF, previous diagnosis of depression, maintained

I am a 35 yo WF, previous diagnosis of depression, maintained on Pristiq 50mg. Family and friends are "concerned" regarding continued agitation, I feel it is unwarranted therefor I am frustrated, worried, scared, did I say frustrated? I have a PFHx: Mother: Schizophrenia Brother: Suicide Tonight I have taken self tests: Yale University PRIME 0/12 for schizo, the Goldberg Bipolar Spectrum Screening which confirms previous depression, wowza, and surprisingly led me to ADHD which I had a score of 70 with the Jasper/Golberg. Any suggestions..... Oh yeah i'm on Topamax 150mg could that be causing the additional agitation, i'v been on it for years but i'm getting desperate...

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe that I may be able to help you with your concern

Customer:

that would be fabulouso

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you have been experiencing this frustration

DoctorZ :

So you mentioned that you have a previous diagnosis of depression, do you think this might be a wrong diagnosis or do you think you may have other issues in addition to the depression?

Customer:

they want me to have another psych eval by a different psych. I think this is uncalled for. No, I will agree with depression, everyone in my family is depressed, father, sisters x 3 and I feel much better since being on pristiq at least it keeps me running smoother :)

DoctorZ :

And the only reason your family and friends feel that you should get another evaluation is because of this continued "agitation" that you mentioned. Can you describe the agitation they are referring to?

Customer:

yes, i'm married to a retarded male (sorry) and our communication sucks and yes we are trying to work on it, and in the past 2 years we have built a house worth 500,00, had a baby, lost a baby, kept a full time job (me) he has changed careers and so one day I jump up and go to grab his collar, and he thinks I'm going to swing at him and he takes me down and tells the whole world that I jumped him....

Customer:

I feel Stressed, NOT CRAZY, but everyone, including my boss, who they called!!!! is now saying, yes I should go see a new psych, I was in counseling, she released me previously saying there wasn't anything more she could do, however with all this nonsense we would have lots to talk about, and I feel betrayed, almost isolated...

Customer:

everyone keeps saying, well what if you end up like you mother (who flipped out at like my age with schizo and it too late) but I don't hear voices I don't speak in tongues, I don't see things, I remember when she abducted us when I was little she WAS CRAZY. yikes....please.....help me what should I do??

DoctorZ :

Well first off you definitely do not have schizophrenia, most female individuals with schizophrenia first present with symptoms between the ages of 20-25, and you do not have any hallucinations or delusions. It sounds like you could have anxiety in conjunction with the depression (52-54 percent of individuals diagnosed with depression are also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder) and that can be the cause of your stress. Also you may have a disorder called Borderline Personality Disorder (BDP). Here is a more detailed look at BPD for your information

DoctorZ :

The pristiq can help with anxiety and depression, so you can increase the dosage if you like to help with the stress and frustration. In addition, since you mentioned not having a current therapist, you could search for a therapist that specializes in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), this is a type of therapy that can help you with these symptoms you have been describing

DoctorZ :

Here is a link describing DBT in more detail for you

DoctorZ :

Now do I think you need another full evaluation, no I do not believe so. I think you have pretty good insight into your mental health disorder and a variety of other mental health disorders

DoctorZ :

But seeking counseling again after your other therapist "released you" can be very beneficial for you

Customer:

by therapist you mean counselor or psychiatrist

DoctorZ :

Well some psychiatrists can provide therapy, granted it does not happen very often in this day and age, but I mean therapy so if you choose to go to a counselor, therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist it does not matter as long as they specialize in DBT therapy which I think can help you a lot

Customer:

ok, thanks and ADHD score, just unrelated, focus more on BDP

DoctorZ :

Well I want to tell you something about those online behavior tests/quizzes, they are not very accurate or reliable unfortunately. I provide assessments for the courts and these tests would never be allowed because you are right when you said they are screens, so they are very incomplete and not definitive. If you want a very accurate behavioral assessment a psychologist can perform an assessment called a Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Test Second Edition (MMPI-2) or a Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI). These are the two best behavior/personality tests used today and provide very accurate results. The ADHD score that you got can also be caused by anxiety/stress

Customer:

you are very insightful, and correct, I actually took the SAAST in addition to the jasper/Goldberg for that reason and still came out borderline, surprisingly. anywhoo, I think I was just shocked myself at some of the questions asked regarding interpersonal relationships and ADHD. Thank you for your time and knowledge, I feel I will at least sleep better tonight. You have no idea how this has disturbed me. Best regards.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am happy to help. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime.