Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am trying to get off antipsychotics. What can help me

hi I am trying to...
hi I am trying to get off antipsychotics. What can help me
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

Getting off antipsychotic medication can be a delicate process, so if you do not mind I would like to ask you a few questions to give you the best information possible

DoctorZ :

May I ask you why do you want to get off antipsychotics? And why were you prescribed antipsychotic medication to begin with?

Customer:

I want to get off of anti pschotics because i know there is alternatives. the side effects are really bad.. The illness dissabled me! Its hard to live a normal life. I want to enjoy life.

Customer:

I was put on the meds bc..

Customer:

i was hallucinating auditoral and visual social anciety panic attacks.. vomitting depression bipolar

DoctorZ :

Those are some serious symptoms to have, what alternatives have you been considering to help you manage those symptoms?

Customer:

Hemopathy, chinesse herbs.. I dont know anything other than psychiatric meds

Customer:

Can you tell me what can help me please

Customer:

i need to get my life back

Customer:

i also think i have ADD

DoctorZ :

Well Homeopathy is not my specialty, so I cannot say for certain if any homeopathic remedies will be beneficial to you or not, there have only been a limited amount of studies on those methods. Have you considered cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)?

Customer:

What is that? How do they work?

DoctorZ :

There are homeopathic psychiatrists though that may be able to help you, here is one webpage of someone who specializes in this

DoctorZ :

Well CBT and DBT work by helping to change your negative and possibly dysfunctional thought process to a more positive and plausible thought process, this is done gradually, but it is very effective with disorders such as Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, Psychosis, and Personality Disorders

DoctorZ :

Here is an example of the most popular CBT technique...This link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more positive and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

DoctorZ :

Many therapists in the United States practice CBT and DBT so they are easy to find

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

is there a posible way my psychotic symptoms go away

DoctorZ :

Was your diagnosis just Bipolar Disorder with psychotic symptoms?

DoctorZ :

Or are the psychotic symptoms associated with the ADD and anxiety/panic attacks as well?

Customer:

I dont know they diagnose me schizoaffective

DoctorZ :

Okay, well Schizoaffective Dsorder means that you have two diagnosis at the same time...this is Schizophrenia, the cause of your psychotic symptoms, and a mood disorder, which is the Bipolar Disorder. Unfortunately this disorder does not go away. Some studies show that the psychotic symptoms lessen as you get older, but that does not happen until you are around 50 years old. The good news is though that the antipsychotic medications that you do not like are very effective in preventing and managing your psychotic symptoms.

DoctorZ :

May I ask what antipsychotic medications you are taking?

DoctorZ :

The CBT and DBT therapy can also help with schizoaffective disorder as well and when the therapy techniques really start to be effective for you it means you can take lower dosages of the medications which will prevent the side effects that you do not find pleasant.

Customer:

what causes people to become psychotic

Customer:

latuda

Customer:

People are harrasing me bc of my illness what can i do. If my primary doctor doesnt help me

Customer:

It feels like they all gathered up together to hurt me emotionally

DoctorZ :

Well with your particular disorder we are not sure of the cause, but we believe it is a genetic abnormality in brain because there are structural differences in brains of individual diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder when compared to someone not diagnosed with it. What causes the psychotic symptoms are an increase in certain neurotransmitters at certain receptors in your brain, namely the dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine, and norepineprhine neurotransmitters in your brain. The antipsychotic medication like Latuda prevents this excess of neurotransmitters to prevent those psychotic symptoms.

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that your primary doctor is not helping you and harassing you. If that is the case I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist/therapist for therapy. These two classes of mental health professionals are very adept in mental health issues and will treat you with the respect that you deserve.

Customer:

no the general public are harrasing me

Customer:

should i go to the police would they believe me or think its a psychotic symptom

DoctorZ :

Do you think it is possible that this is not real and that this is a possible a symptom of your diagnosis?

Customer:

no because they are verbally telling these things

DoctorZ :

You see them verbally say these things to you?

Customer:

it makes my illness worse

Customer:

i live in a neighborhood where they are very ignorant

Customer:

should i just move

DoctorZ :

Well you can move, but the people there may harass you as well, so we have to figure out a way to help you manage the harassment where it is not so bothersome to you. Therapy will help you with this.

DoctorZ :

You mentioned that if you go to the police they make think this is symptom of your disorder, how would you be able to tell what is real and what is not? This is called reality testing and it is important to practice with your disorder, another thing that therapy will teach you

Customer:

ok thank you

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

DoctorZ :

or anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

no that wa all thank you

DoctorZ :

Okay, well I want to wish you the best of luck with everything

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist