How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5824
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mental health question....I often have an

This answer was rated:

I have a mental health question....I often have an incredible sinking feeling in my chest or the pit of my stomach..I was curious if this feeling was related to either anxiety or depression maybe? I'm pretty sure its related to an emotion and not something physical.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
The symptoms you describe could be either anxiety or depression. But before you assume that is what it is, the first step in finding out what it is going on is to see your doctor. You want to rule out any possible physical issue. While it is not common to have symptoms like you describe turn out to be a physical issue, it should be ruled out just in case. If you are ok physically, then the symptoms are most likely anxiety or depression.
The next step is to see a therapist for an evaluation. They can help find out what diagnosis you may have and recommend treatment that will help you. You can also explore your symptoms through self help to see if you can find out what diagnosis might fit what you feel. Here are some resources to help you find out what you might have:
I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Kate..thank you for responding....Could you tell me what possible physical causes that the doctor would be looking for?

Thank you

LeAnne :)

I can only guess at that since it is not in my area of expertise. It could be an ulcer or other stomach issue. Besides that, your doctor is the best person to ask.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yeah I have certain tests ran and a yearly physical every year...Only thing that has come back was Anemia which I know can cause anxiety...I have had panic disorder for years with occasional Agoraphobia...But I had some things happen a few years back and was later diagnosed with PTSD..but I'm not sure about that one...

The only way to know for sure is to have your doctor examine you. If there is nothing found that could contribute to your current symptoms, you want to try seeing a therapist for an evaluation. It is best practice to rule out any physical cause first before you try to treat a mental health issue that is presenting with physical symptoms.
I need to step out for a bit for an appointment. If you have any more questions, I can respond as soon as I am available again. But if not, please consider rating my answers highly so I can be reimbursed for my work. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you