How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i just spoke to a neurologist, and he suggested i speak

This answer was rated:

hi i just spoke to a neurologist, and he suggested i speak with a 'shrink'
copy - paste
hi i am so shocked at whats happened to me!!!! i am super confident with people, a great flirt , really am good in social aspects of life untill... one night i had too much to drink next morning bad hungover , one cigarette, and a strong espresso after that i met up with my boyfriend and i started having the most intense fear , i couldnt talk cuz half of my face would start twitching!!! nose myscles would go up and my lips would just have a life on their own!!!!! what happened??? now verytime someone looks on my face or stands close to me i get the same reaction!!!!!!!! what is going on with me??? i am a model .
seems like aftrr that one time i constantly think about having this! even now im in my bed , stressing out about tomorrow thinking i will be having my make up done and will prob have the same reaction!! i seem to get it oy when ppl stand close to me and talk to me, and its IMPOSSIBLE when im with someone i think is good looking!! like as soon as i took of my dark sunglasses in which i feel more 'safe' cuz ppl cant see my eyes, ad soon as i take them off the spasm starts:((( iv never had it:( can it be thats its a fear of having it that is acting out now?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It was very smart of you to see a doctor first. By ruling out any physical cause, you can focus on dealing with this issue through therapy.

It sounds like you had an intense episode of fear that triggered anxiety for you. At the time the first reaction occurred, you had many stimulants in your body. That can trigger an anxiety/fear reaction. Once that happens, you begin to associate the reaction to the circumstances in which they occurred in. In this case for you, it was when your boyfriend was with you. Since then when you recreate similar situations where someone is standing close to you, it triggers an emotional response that causes the same symptoms. Think of it like being in a car accident. You come to associate fear with getting back into the car. You have to take it one step at a time in order to overcome the fear reaction and learn that you will be ok.

One of the first steps is to understand that what you have experienced can be resolved. Once you lose your fear of the reaction, you can start to control it more.

The next step is to work on breaking the association you have with someone standing close to you and the reaction you have. That starts through learning to relax. If you can relax yourself, you can learn that you are ok when someone stands close to you. When you feel yourself becoming anxious you can choose to use these techniques to help yourself relax. Here is a resource that can help you get started:

You can also ask your doctor for a mild medication to help you feel more relaxed. Ativan can help as can Valium. You can take them as needed rather than all the time, which helps when you are dealing with situations that cause you to feel anxious.

You may also want to work on anxiety in general. The more you know, the more tools you have to help yourself. Here are some resources to help you:

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

You may also want to talk to a therapist, even short term. The support can help you work through your anxiety. Just having someone to talk to as you recover can help a lot.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for that, so perhaps this is why now i have to drink at least two glasses of champagne for the fear to go away when i am confident enough that it wont come back . tomorrow i have to have my make up done and i am already freaking out :((( now when i see even from faaar someone that i fancy or like or a friend i am excited about i get such fear like im about to ride a rollercoaster upside down. so seems like its definately psychological.
Yes I agree, it seems psychological based on what your symptoms are. If the doctor cleared you, then you are likely dealing with anxiety. However, anxiety is a very common issue and it is easily treated with self help and therapy.

To deal with tomorrow, you may want to ask your doctor to call in a prescription of Ativan or Valium, just to help you cope until you can work on the anxiety and set up therapy. And try working on the relaxation and self help today so you have some techniques you can use to reduce your anxiety tomorrow.

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

I hope you received my answer to your last question. If you have any more questions, please let me know.












May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!