How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5839
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I do not know if I have a mental problem, or not, I am

This answer was rated:

I do not know if I have a mental problem, or not, I am married to a wonderful woman, but I do not have any sexual desire for her, in the past she has belittled me, sometimes telling me that my penis is not worth anything, she does desire me, she has said this in anger, sometimes calls me a dog, and other things, I suspect that I have a condition that has blocked her off, I need help with my desire for her (libido).
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
It sounds like your wife is hurting you a lot through how she talks to you. Calling you names and telling you that you do not measure up sexually is a great way for her to make herself seem less attractive. It makes sense, given how she treats you, that you do not feel any sexual desire for her.
Whenever someone is treated badly by another person, it makes that other person less desirable to be around. Who wants to be near someone who obviously does not like them, or at least feels negatively towards them?
Sexual desire is best when we feel the other person finds us attractive and they want to be with us. We feel loved and cared about. And we feel valuable. But it sounds like your wife feels the opposite.
In order to deal with this problem, you may need to sit down with your wife and talk to her about how she communicates her feelings to you. Let her know that her words hurt you and they make you feel bad about her as well. Then ask her if she is willing to work on better ways of talking to you about what she feels. For example, she can tell you that she feels angry at you without having to call you names or put you down. Simply saying, I need to talk because what you did made me feel angry is good enough to start a productive conversation.
You may also want to see a counselor together. A counselor can help your wife figure out why she needs to put you down. It is often true that someone with a poor self esteem needs to put others down in order to feel better about themselves. If that is your wife's issue, she may need a counselor to help her find other ways to express herself.
In the meanwhile, you and your wife can work on better ways to feel affection for each other. Here are some resources to help you:
I hope this has helped you,
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.
My best to you and your wife,